Can anybody explain this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That message is obnoxious, imo(the MOTD when you log in using firestorm says something to the effect of LL creating a new world...not if you have anything to say about it.blah blah).

It, and things like it, are the precise reason people panic over things, make assumptions, and even sometimes act on those things without thinking.  Yes LL is creating another platform...but it does not, at this time, threaten sl, or the residents, in any way.

People should give things time before they jump to making all kinds of assumptions and conclusions, as wlel as "rallying the troops", as this MOTD seems to indicate.  Poor choice of MOTD for the firestorm devs, imo. Not that I'll stop using firestorm, it's just a piss poor MOTD that will only serve to drive paranoia into the residents, rather than educate them.

While many. including me, use third party viewers, they've created a bit of a tower of Babel in SL. You can understand the concerns of third party viewer developers who may be locked out of creating viewers for LL's new virtual world. But, I'm looking forward to the elimination of the incompatibilities between viewers that so greatly complicate collaboration. The SL Answers area often gets questions from people who cannot understand SL tutorials because the UI of their viewer doesn't match that of the one used to create the tutorial.

If you are a third party viewer creator, go ahead and panic.

If you are anyone else, there may be reason to rejoice.

I've seen it claimed that Mesh skills will still be usable. because the importing is in an industry standard format. Even if the rigged meshes have to use a different skeleton, this skills won't change.

But I have also see reports of other ways of doing 3D rendering, whih don't use anything Mesh-like.

There are reaspns for a change. There are different ways of doing things. Other providers have shown that. There are limits in SL which come from the original design decisions.

And is the SL Viewer really Open Source, with things like the physics library?

This is a bit more than what hapened when the Viewer changes major version number. But, struggling to get around SL11B though the lag, I have wondered if SL has reached the upper reaches of a signoid curve. We've had big changes in my time here, but the rate of obvious change has slowed. I doubt anyone can reallyget anywhere by throwing hardware at the problems. SL might have become a little too complicated.

I am sceptical whether Linden Labs can innovate and come up with something that succeeds as SL has. But they know more than most about how user-created content and the people interact. And in the end, all the innovation from LL, or whoever steals their lunch, is nothing without us.

SL exploded across the world on the back of broadband internet. We've had big changes that are nothing to do with Linden Labs, and which have been exploited in sometimes crude ways. What comes next has to match the visual quality of SL, and of the consale games, while still having room to develop. SL has succeeded partly because the developing technology was able to give us the room.

I am not sure that the next ten years will give us the improvements we have been able to use. I cannot expect my connection to increase its capacity a thousandfold. I cannot expect the increases in processor speed I experienced.

LL are going to have to do some smart stuff.

Can they?

"back in the old days"  good lord, we used to have total grid shutdowns back then.  used to hit a peak concurrency and things would grind to a halt,  hell they used to take down the grid on wednesday and update it.  then we'd play hell over the weekends with the new features (bug) they introduced.    No *buzz*  things are not better back then.   They are totally better right here in the present.

The only days I can play Is Wednesday and Thursdays, and that just coincides with update days.  Back in those days sim crossings were bad, wait they still are.  Back in those days, yes there were shutdowns, then they were over.  Now, Everyday day there seems to be issues now.  I'm not saying anything other than, it's not as fun now, and as a result I don't play as much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.