You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
Ark Vuckovic

Gift Card System

Hello,

Can anyone recommend me a reliable Gift Card System for my shop which will work with any vendors. Most of the system offered on Xstreetsl are working only with speciffic vendors.

Thanks.

Stuff N Such Owner
Honored Resident
BetterThan Ordinary

Re: Gift Card System

Reply to Ark Vuckovic - view message

There may be one ... but this doesn't sound very feasible to me, Ark.

The script in the vendor will have to know exactly what to look for -- usually it will be looking for a specific type of attached item.  Once found, the script in the vendor will either (1) communicate with a database that tracks the amount remaining on the card, or (2) communicates with a script within the card itself to determine the value remaining.  It's decently complicated.

The point is, you can't just take any ol' vendor script and have it automatically work with gift cards.

Good luck in your search ... but I don't think you'll find what you're looking for.

I'm an oddball.
Honored Resident
Sindy Tsure

The biggest concern is having it get gamed..

Dunno if this'd work but a no-mod/no-copy/transfer object might work. You could have, say, L$100/L$250/L$500 objects that people could buy and give to friends, loved ones, me, etc. That with a vendor that does llAllowInventoryDrop and looks for the gift objects might work. It'd be a little tricky since LSL doesn't tell you who dropped the object (which has always greatly annoyed me) but some sorta 'touch to begin!' script could do it.

Probably more reliable than an external database - it'd all be inside SL - but riskier...

Void Singer
Solutions: 64

no-copy, no-mod, set it up as a self deleting script that's it's own mini network vendor...  it can make an email request, get confirmation the request is recieved and self delete... the server gets the request, responds, deducts the purchase price from the card (use preset values), and sends the product to the card holder along with any change (or a new card if that's convenient)

you could also have the server respond with the change, which stays on the card, but then you are more likely to have to deal with partial payments, and that means incorporation into a vendor.

me personally I like gift item cards... the buyer gives it to whoever, and the owner eventually has it request the item.

to secure either one, the easiest way would be to require creator interaction at the begining, along with some checks on some hidden prim properties.

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Qie Niangao

If the intent is to have something work with a mix of pre-existing vendors, I don't think it's possible for any conventional "gift card" to function that way.

One could imagine a kind of "rebate gift card" that would interface with an external system that scrapes the merchant's transaction history to verify that there's a new, qualified purchase by the card holder, and then refunds the appropriate amount.

Given that transaction histories are occasionally offline, however, this would be fraught with service interruptions--and unhappy customers.

And not being able to use the card amount to reduce the initial pay price would make it less attractive than an approach that engaged in the purchase process itself.

Honored Resident
Ark Vuckovic

Thanks everyone for the answers. I got the idea about gift card. I think its a security treat. The card could be fored easily. Therefore i will stay with vendors having buy as a gift option.

Stuff N Such Owner