You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Honored Resident
NikNak Dagostino

Creating a bot/clone avatar and having it run.

I put the following question on the Animation forum and someone very active there suggested that this forum might have an answer.

I am trying to create bots that simply run based on a trigger from a chat. No intelligence is needed in the bot, simply run. The idea is they they run away from an explosion.

1) How do you create a bot/clone avatar?

2) How do you animate it? Will Qavimator be the way?

Thanks!

NikNak

Void Singer
Solutions: 64

Re: Creating a bot/clone avatar and having it run.

Reply to NikNak Dagostino - view message

a simple scripted version would be an avatar sitting on an object or vehicle that is scripted and THAT would respond to the chat message.

as for animation, the animations can be created in any program that outs BVH format, then uploaded to SL... once there you drop it into your object (described above) and trigger it from the script(s) in that object

- Farewell to your ports and good luck to you all
Rolig Loon

I don't know how to script a bot to run or whether it's even possible, never having thought of doing it myself. I suspect that if it can be done, it won't be easy or inexpensive.  On a related note, however, I have run across a merchant in world who sells exploding avatars that are fairly convincing. I'll try to remember to send you the LM next time I am in world.

Not as dumb as I look
Recognized Resident
Sprog Charron

You can make a bot simply by using an alt and running this on another viewer. There are multiple issues with this such as having two viewers running at the same time and also if you are using this alt as a bot then im sure you need to register it as such on the sl website. I would suggested using a text viewer to run this alt such as metabolt as this will reduce your CPU usage and reduce your tendancy to crash when using your regular avatar, There are other ways to run a bot but this would be the simplist that i no of.

Honored Resident
NikNak Dagostino

Hi Rolig,

The exploding bot sounds interesting. Yes, please send me the LM when you are in-world!

Thanks!

NikNak

Honored Resident
NikNak Dagostino

Hi Void,

Thanks for the tip. The real issue is how first to create a new "dumb" avatar clone and then give it life to run on a script that makes the clone avatar move and even interact to a very limited degree with a real avatar.

I've used programs that output BVH formats for animation for my avatar and that works well.

BTW I have heard of research groups using the libopenmetaverse framework to create intelligent bots. I'm not familiar with it but it does look complicated.

NikNak

Honored Resident
NikNak Dagostino

Hi Sprog,

A very interesting solution but unfortunately it would be impractical in my environment.

Thanks for the help!

NikNak

Void Singer

all "bots" that exist in SL fall into two categories... the most comon is a normal avatar account, run from someones computer, that accepts special commands and/or runs on a custom client software.... this is the case I described, which has this avatar account sitting on a scripted object which can move and animate it.

the other type is what Rolig described, an object creation that runs completely within SL, but is not going to be very realistic in either appearance or action. these can be rather difficult to set up depending on how complex the actions they must take are (and fluid motion is difficult to impossible to achieve with them)

Honored Resident
NikNak Dagostino

Hi Void,

Yup, that's right!

My interest is in the type of bot that Rolig describes. I have seen some quite realistic ones developed in libopenmetaverse. It looks complex but I'll have to put myself to studying it. I wish there were an easier way.

My colleague works in OpenSim and says it is quite easy to construct a life-like bot (using C# and Visual Studio), but a little harder to animate it.

NikNak

Void Singer

unfortunately, the type that runs directly within SL is NOT going to be what you saw using LibOpenMV (which I'll assume you saw on an OSgrid sim), because that code will not run directly on SL, and you're stuck with poor sculpted meshes because there is no direct access to the avatar meshes or bone structure in SL (mesh support may eventually help with this)...

otherwise LibOpernSL bot's run on a host computer connecting to an actual avatar account, and basically becoming a virtual user.