Honored Resident
Hyeena

What is Gorean?

I have been RPing in Dead End, a modern day sim which treads the normal boundaries: city out of control, police ineffective, etc. 

I am considering finding a change of pace, and medieval looks my style. However, not sure what the difference is between Gorean and Medieval. Is there one? What kind of characters are there in Gorean RP? Any tips, explanations, etc. would be much appreciated :smileyhappy:

Also, side question, are their any prehistoric RP sims?

Helper
Knowl Paine

Re: What is Gorean?

Reply to Hyeena - view message

A link with general info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorean

You may find several variations of Gore in SL, some hold to principles, others do not.

Gore is not the traditional Kings and Queens of Medieval times; although, that to, can be found in SL.

Sorry, I am not aware of a Region with dinosaurs.

Honored Resident
Hyeena

Awesome, thanks!

Leia36
Topics: 11

Post from http://lakajira.com

What is Gorean?

Well, the question of Gor is not easy to explain in a few words. Certainly it is easy to say Gor is the planet from John Normans Novels about another world, the earths twin planet. Gor also means HomeStone.

But to say in a few words, what Gor and gorean lifestyle means and for which people this community exists, here some guidelines:

• Men are men and woman are woman, they are not equal!
  • There is a natural order existing along men and woman, human, animals, strong and weak… each one has a place in the complete whole
  • slavery is a part of the society, a part of life
  • The life of the female slave is a consistent, totalistic and indissoluble whole
  • the gorean philosophy does exist, it is a philosophy for humans, living on earth, not only fiction in a few books
  • Gor is not one way, there are dozens of possible ways, all could be gorean, but Gor is always full of honor and respect for nature and for each creature
  • Gor includes different cultures and folks, different way of life, different people

Gor is another idea of society, it is different to most earths life, but in fact Gor is not really new: in some part of this world, you find very similar societies and cultures, at least they were existing in the past.

Gor is more than the Master/slave part. But the Master/slave part is probably the most interesting part. To understand, why a woman submits to men, why men like to own woman, why Master/slave can reach a really fulfilled life, one need to understand the complete whole about Gor. For this it makes sense to read the books and to talk to different people and finally to find ones own place, depending on strengths and weaknesses, gender, experiences and skills and of course on ones own honor and respect. Even if a Master has power over his slave, he respects her as the creature, she is. A slave has no rights, not even to own a name, but it could be (not must be) that a Master does risk his own life for his slave. It is a question of honor, loyalty and deep respect for each other. Master and slave relationship means totally trust, deepest connection between human and absolutely harmony with nature and universe.

She emerged from chrysalis, flowering in the storm.
JeanneAnne
Topics: 24

Hyeena wrote:

I have been RPing in Dead End, a modern day sim which treads the normal boundaries: city out of control, police ineffective, etc. 

I am considering finding a change of pace, and medieval looks my style. However, not sure what the difference is between Gorean and Medieval. Is there one? What kind of characters are there in Gorean RP? Any tips, explanations, etc. would be much appreciated :smileyhappy:

Also, side question, are their any prehistoric RP sims?

this hack writer named John Norman has written 30 some violent mysogynistic novels about this world called Gor thats directly on the other side of the sun from Earth & is ruled by these giant intelligent insects called Priest Kings who are afraid humans will find out about them & nuke em so they keep humans @ a primitive technological level militarily but not in other ways .. meanwhile theres these carnivorous aliens called Kurs that want to eat people so humans have to fite them w/ swords & crossbows cuz the Priest Kings wont let them have guns .. the warriors ride around on giant hawks called Tarns & swoop down on women & carry them off to be sex slaves .. there are giant weasels called Sleens that the men feed women to if the women dont please them sexually .. the scenes are variously themed on ancient Rome Persia Scandinavia etc .. Norman writes poorly & his novels are ridiculous yet trogs eat em up & base RP on them .. i cant think of muchuv anything more stupid

Jeanne

Syo Emerald
Topics: 23

[ Edited ]

Reply to JeanneAnne - view message

First time, but I have to agree with you. I don't know why its so popular (Ok, seeing what a hype Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey and Justin Bieber were....nevermind). I think the whole thing can be named Slave/Master with lots of wannabe fantasy decoration. :cattongue:

I would prefer real medival roleplay over Gor, but thats just me.

On the internet nobody knows you are a dog.
JeanneAnne
Topics: 24

Reply to Syo Emerald - view message

Syo Emerald wrote:

First time, but I have to agree with you. I don't know why its so popular (Ok, seeing what a hype Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey and Justin Bieber were....nevermind). I think the whole thing can be named Slave/Master with lots of wannabe fantasy decoration. :cattongue:

I would prefer real medival roleplay over Gor, but thats just me.

yep Syo

id love to find a cool authentic old Norse RP

Jeanne

Leia36
Topics: 11

Reply to Syo Emerald - view message

Appearances can be deceptive, but to each their own...with over 350 sims and thousands of people online every day it is as valid a RP community as any other. Personally I go gorean a few times a week, Its fun, just plain fun, nothing serious.

She emerged from chrysalis, flowering in the storm.
Resident
Altheus

Reply to JeanneAnne - view message

JeanneAnne wrote:

yep Syo

id love to find a cool authentic old Norse RP

Jeanne

jwenting
Topics: 5

methinks JeanneAnne is a tad jealous of John Norman's success :smileyhappy:

"Hack writer"? He's a successful author of over 30 books in the Gor series, and several dozen others, the first of which have been in print near continuously for decades. He's a professor of philosophy whose ideas have a worldwide following numbering in the tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands).

Do I agree with everything he writes? No. Do I think he has some very good points? Yes. Do I think Gor exists? No. Do I think many people on earth would find themselves as described by Norman when confronted with such a society? Possibly.

That said, SL Gor is in many if not most sims a perversion of the books, of the lore put down and the philosophy created by John Norman. While they celebrate the idea of total submission of women to men, they forget that men have honour and value their women, and that free women do indeed exist and can rise to high office (or many of the sims forget that).
Can't blame the philosopher and author for how his audience interprets his writings.