You are currently in the Blog Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Blogs can be found here.

New Groups for Resident Sources for Press and Inworld Journalists

by Community Manager on ‎04-20-2010 11:16 AM

New Group: Second Life Press Sources

Interested in sharing your experiences and helping to tell the world about Second Life? Ever see media coverage about Second Life and think, “my story’s much better!” Dying to see your avatar, build, project, business, or just your perspective about Second Life in the press?

On the PR team, we’re always looking for Residents open to speaking with the press about their experiences in Second Life and how the virtual world has positively impacted their lives.

If you are interested in becoming a potential source for journalists, please join the Second Life Press Sources group inworld and/or on Avatars United. We’ll use these groups to periodically send out specific calls for sources.

We’re interested in building a diverse pool of Residents, so however you spend your time in Second Life – whether you’re an artist, merchant, educator, role-player, scripter, builder, explorer, fashionista, filmmaker, someone who just likes to hang out with friends, or anything in between – we’d be very pleased to meet you!

New Group: Second Life Press Corps

Also today, we’re introducing a new group for inworld press: Second Life Press Corps. We’ll use this group to share Linden Lab announcements and send invitations to inworld press events. This group replaces the “Second Life Media Consortium” group, which will be closed soon, as it was woefully outdated.

If you are an inworld journalist and would like to be invited to the group, please email me (Pete@LindenLab.com) a request with the following:

• Your Second Life name
  • The outlet (blog, magazine, TV show, etc.) that you work for - please provide the name, URL, and a brief description

Please note: if the outlet you work for is in violation of our trademark guidelines, we will not be able to admit you to the group.

Comments
by Advisor Marianne McCann on ‎04-20-2010 11:25 AM

Joined the Avatars United group: I've been a source on a number of articles before, so why not?

by Honored Resident Net Antwerp on ‎04-20-2010 12:33 PM

"Second Life Press Sources" sounds awfully a lot like Linden  Research's 'Community  Partnership Program' - one of the (destructive) policy rollouts of 2009  that the majori...

"Press Sources" is extremely likely to portrey an unbalanced view  of the inner workings of Second Life. My guess is, Linden Research  wants to collect all the faux 'positive' stories of in-world  experiences, with all the controversial bits removed. Therefore (trying to) eradicate parts of critical Second Life history.

Overall  concurrency numbers are starting to drop again. This virtual 'rain  dance' performed by the CEO-who-must-not-be-named (Mark Kingdon)  probably isn't going to work, as future customers start to find out that  the Grid life isn't as shiny, pretty and stress-free as the faux 'stories' foretold.

It's  much better for Linden Research to browse around customer's blogs, and  reblog/collect bits and pieces from *both* sides of the spectrum.  Therefore preserving a balanced, detailed and real copy of Second Life's history.

by Honored Resident Frans Charming on ‎04-20-2010 11:33 PM

Net Antwerp, what are you saying? Are there only faux positive stories? SL does not bring you anything positive at all?

Writing a balanced story is a journalists job to do and investigate. Like any other company it is not in LL's interests to point the press to drama mongers and sour grapes. The Press would not even expect that they would do that, to the contrary. The press knows they will have to do their own actual work to report on such stories, which happen all the time.

LL wants SL to grow, and it is a far better  way to attract people to SL with positive stories, than with negative stories. If you have a negative story that needs to be told, you can contact the press yourself, that is how it usually works, someone gives them a tip.

A press group is also not about preserving Second Life history. It is our own job to preseve our own history, and a historians job to investigate. If you are interested in the history of SL, I would signup to all the mailing lists that LL provides, where there is always a vocal and balanced discussion of SL events and which are all perfectly preserved in archives. There is a wealth of history right there. Or what about the recently archived forums that have been made public.

by Honored Resident Net Antwerp on ‎04-21-2010 01:40 AM

"If you  are interested in the history of SL, I would signup to all  the mailing  lists that LL provides"

The mailing list is often  quite technical - geared primarily towards Second Life customers who  have been in-world for a few years. Newcomers would potentially get themselves lost if they stuck their heads into the mailing lists.

"Or what  about the recently archived forums that have been made public."

Diving into forums/archives would result in the same 'information overload' issue as the mailing lists.

"LL wants SL to grow, and it is a far better  way to attract people to SL with  positive stories, than with negative stories."

Not quite, Frans Charming.

People need to be told both positive and negative stories. Possibilities and limitations of the platform. Destructive changes of Linden. Positive changes that Linden initiated.

Otherwise, Linden would be misleading potential customers with their one-sided rain dance.

by Honored Resident Frans Charming on ‎04-21-2010 02:20 AM
"The mailing list is often  quite technical - geared primarily towards Second Life customers who have been in-world for a few years. Newcomers would potentially get themselves lost if they stuck their heads into the mailing lists.

"Or what  about the recently archived forums that have been made public."

Diving into forums/archives would result in the same 'information overload' issue as the mailing lists."

History is often complicated, I'm not saying newcomers should do that, I was suggestion you should. You seem to be interested in SL's history. Are you advocating that someone should write a comprehensive History about Second Life for newcomers?

It feels like you want that when people read a story about Second Life, that the stories includes some sort of history of SL? Isn't that the publications job to do? And from what perspective is that history written? I think I can be fairly certain, you and I would write very different ones.

If you feel there are to many fluff pieces about SL you should bring it up to the journalists and challenge them to write better or bring attention to a certain issue they should cover.

"People need to be told both positive and negative stories. Possibilities and limitations of the platform. Destructive changes of Linden. Positive changes that Linden initiated.

Otherwise, Linden would be misleading potential customers with their one-sided rain dance."

I'm completely for telling exactly what SL can do, and what it can't do, and not mislead people.

But LL has no obligation to tell the press or newcomers about opinions of users about changes they made. If the press wants to hear those, they can just investigate, it is never to hard to find dissent.

What is positive or negative, the community as a whole doesn't agree on at all. You can be certain the changes LL makes they them-self find positive to start with, and if they improve it after user remarks, the change becomes more positive in their eyes.

by Honored Resident Net Antwerp on ‎04-21-2010 03:16 AM
"History  is often complicated, I'm not saying newcomers should do that, I was  suggestion you should. You seem to be interested in SL's history". 

I've been in & around Second Life for more than three years, Fran. Why would *I* want to re-read (most of) the issues of which I'm familiar with?

"What is  positive or negative, the community as a whole doesn't agree on at all"

There  will always be hard-core fans (of Linden) applauding every single  change/decision they make. The community as a whole usually do agree  with major issues (like Viewer 2 feedback). I'm sure you know by now,  Frans, that most of the changes being implemented are put in place to  benefit Linden *first* - even if it means (famous) existing (paying)  customers like Ordinal ceases doing business with them.

"You can  be certain the changes LL makes they them-self find positive to start  with, and if they improve it after user remarks, the change becomes more  positive in their eyes"

That  sounds like hardcore fan talk.

"Are  you advocating that someone should write a comprehensive History  about  Second Life for newcomers?"

"It feels  like you want that when people read a story about Second  Life, that the  stories includes some sort of history of SL? Isn't that  the publications  job to do?"

The "Second Life Press Sources" clique seems to be aiming exactly for that, with tight Linden 'be positive or else' Moderation.

"But LL  has no obligation to tell the press or newcomers about opinions of users  about changes they made. If the press wants to hear those, they can  just investigate, it is never to hard to find dissent."

You're missing the point. Linden Research (from what I can gather) wants to create their own 'user stories' lookbook, just like they did with Fashion last year. Come to think of it, this whole "press source" movement seems to be a sign that Linden Research is afraid of working with random customers *without* a rigid 'contract'.

Not to mention genunie Press (like the BBC) getting pelted by Linden Research customers for being somewhat honest in their articles.

by Honored Resident Frans Charming on ‎04-21-2010 04:56 AM

There  will always be hard-core fans (of Linden) applauding every single  change/decision they make. The community as a whole usually do agree  with major issues (like Viewer 2 feedback). I'm sure you know by now,  Frans, that most of the changes being implemented are put in place to  benefit Linden *first* - even if it means (famous) existing (paying)  customers like Ordinal ceases doing business with them.

"You can  be certain the changes LL makes they them-self find positive to start  with, and if they improve it after user remarks, the change becomes more  positive in their eyes"

That  sounds like hardcore fan talk.

There will also be people who complain about any change, or no change at all. The hardcore lovers and haters are usually the loudest.

Of course are the changes put in place to benefit Linden First! This is a commercial endeavour after all. At the same time they can only be successful if they retain and acquire new customers, it is their charge to balance those two parts. Which sometimes seem or are conflicting for current users.

You might find it hardcore fan talk, but any change any company makes has as reason some kind of positive effect for the company. Anything other would be self destructive. Some changes might be hard, for the company and/or the uses, but the goal is always something positive for the company.

I will take Viewer 2 as a example, and how it plays out from LL perspective:"Linden Lab wanted to create a better user experience for new users, and overhauled the client. Current users needed to adapt, but it seemed worthwhile and in the long run it was expected to be a better experience for everyone. After introducing the new viewer, and several months of use LL got a lot feedback on how to improve the client further and made those and further improvement over the year. Polishing and improving the client for both new and existing users." I expect that this is how the people at LL will see it.

Somehow you seem to be implying that it was not and is not SL's intent to make a great viewer? They have admitted things are not as they want, and we can expect fixes. What more would you want? Should LL ask writers to mention that in every story?

"Are  you advocating that someone should write a comprehensive History  about  Second Life for newcomers?"

"It feels  like you want that when people read a story about Second  Life, that the  stories includes some sort of history of SL? Isn't that  the publications  job to do?"

The "Second Life Press Sources" clique seems to be aiming exactly for that, with tight Linden 'be positive or else' Moderation.

"But LL  has no obligation to tell the press or newcomers about opinions of users  about changes they made. If the press wants to hear those, they can  just investigate, it is never to hard to find dissent."

You're missing the point. Linden Research (from what I can gather) wants to create their own 'user stories' lookbook, just like they did with Fashion last year. Come to think of it, this whole "press source" movement seems to be a sign that Linden Research is afraid of working with random customers *without* a rigid 'contract'.

I think the press group is not about history, or not even about user stories, but about giving LL a platform to approach bloggers about "Linden Lab announcements and send invitations to inworld press events". Maybe even giving them sneak peaks to create buzz about new announcements/updates. Nothing wrong with that, that is what the marketing department is supposed to do.

No contracts are involved so far, you can join those groups too.

by Honored Resident Net Antwerp on ‎04-21-2010 05:37 AM
"The  hardcore lovers and haters are usually the loudest."

No, Frans. "hardcore lovers" are more likely to stay extra quiet, even when Linden Research makes (policy) changes which is set to cripple them. As long as they have Linden at their side, they don't say anything (criticism) about Linden and Platform.

"At the  same time they can only be successful if they retain and acquire new  customers, it is their charge to balance those two parts. Which  sometimes seem or are conflicting for current users"

Indeed. Keeping their existing customers afloat should be one of their main priorities, I think.

"Somehow  you seem to be implying that it was not and is not SL's intent to make a  great viewer? They have admitted things are not as they want, and we  can expect fixes. What more would you want? Should LL ask writers to  mention that in every story?"

Yes, a Balanced story/review of Second Life should include all of the pro-Linden anti-Customer policies and changes Linden have implemented, historical in-world griefing groups etc on top of all the 'good stuff'.

"I think  the press group is not about history, or not even about user stories,  but about giving LL a platform to approach bloggers about "Linden Lab  announcements and send invitations to inworld press events"

That's what "Second Life Press Corps" is all about (Linden dictating all Press movements). Quite different from "Second Life Press Sources" (Linden controlling flow of in-world information).

"No  contracts are involved so far, you can join those groups too."

No Thanks. 3rd party blogs are much more useful at getting *actual* facts out the door. Much better to maintain my own blog (and browse various others) rather than feed the biased Linden Press machine.

by Member Shannon Danick on ‎04-29-2010 01:43 PM

Woohoo! Joined! Miss Shannon just loves to talk about her SL adventures!

by Resident Angelocracy Xue on ‎04-29-2010 04:13 PM

sent a request to join  Second Life Press Corps.  hopefully this will help build the Angelocracy news and publishing empire.  Thinking about joining Second Life Press Sources.

by New Resident Kisuul Frimon on ‎04-29-2010 05:26 PM

Heres a new resident perspective for you. I joined the grid this year a few months ago. Overall my experiences in second life have been very positive. Ive met a lot of great people, seen some truly amazing sims, found some nifty gadgets, and Ive made some real world cash! I must say I am enjoying my time in Second Life more then I have any other 'virtual world/game/etc'.

But still SL has caused me more then a bit of aggravation. Slow reztimes, laggy sims, missing items, griefing, etc etc. We all know what the problems are. The question is are we willing to deal with them and continue to interact with each other in this world that for the most part we are building for ourselves?

For me, atleast for the forseeable future, the answer is a hearty Yes.

And back On Topic, darned thread hijacking ;P, I joined the group. Sounds like a positive step on Lindens part.

by Member Darien Caldwell on ‎04-29-2010 05:28 PM

Every major company has a PR and customer relations person/group, I wouldn't expect LL to be any different. I'm coming up on 4 years in SL now, and i've run the gamut of emotions about LL/SL and what goes on here. It's become clear to me that people feel pretty strongly about SL and LL because LL in the beginning used some very strong imagery and floated some pretty hefty promises about what SL would be about, and sadly, lived up to very few of them. And people who remember those days are never going to forget, or forgive LL for that. I'm probably among that group.

But if you step back and look at what LL has and is doing, it's basically all the same things any company does. They just get a pass because they never promised to be something they're not.

So in a way Net, and Frans are both right, they are just looking from very different perspectives on the actions LL takes. And they are both justified in their respective feelings on the subject. Group Hug.

by Resident Angelocracy Xue on ‎05-01-2010 01:56 AM

2 days and still no word back on my email to join  Second Life Press Corps. Why don't you love me Pete Linden! Why don't you love me?