Do people ever reconnect with the ones they lost?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would say: Some do, some don't.

I started in 2007, then deleted my first account in 2009 and made a new one. I only told 4 people about my new account.

And after some drama i deleted that one and made a new one in 2011. I never told anyone where i went, i just moved on.

My old SL-mom had her account for 8 years, had bought a sim, an expensive house, she did drag racing and worked for NCI... and all of a sudden she deleted all of her alts (the ones that i knew). And nobody knew what happened to her.

I am sure she is still around somewhere. People just don't quit SL like that. But many people just leave everything behind and move on.

And its hard to find them. If you're lucky and they want to get back in touch with you then they will :)

• Like 1

Okay, that cracked me up.  I am sure we all have some of those but to my thinking, every experience with another gives you something valuable you can take away from it if you think about it. 

I think the most difficult thing for us is to embrace the fact that everything has a season.  People can be in your lives for just a season and it is okay.  In fact we are not here to acquire but to lose.  If we are in any life(First or Second) long enough, we will lose a lot.  Even our own bodies.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I think some people do reconnect yes, but I think more often than not once reconnected things are never really the same as they used to be.  We tend to have our own way of remembering how things were and sometimes it wasn't the same way the other person remembered it, not to mention, over time we all change.  If when you lost someone it was a not so great parting of ways, it is hard and often impossible to find that groove, that fluidity that you once had with them again, so you are always left wishing, dreaming, hoping to have and feel what you had in the past again and you end up never truly satisfied.

Just my opinion and experience from reconnections with people here in SL over time.  I guess that is why now I try and never go backwards when its over it is over (ok, I do have a bad habit of looking back, but I try to not actually go back now) , only forwards.

• 1 month later...

The fact is more often than not people do not reconnect with people from their past SL lives. There are many reasons for this. They could have ha d abig falling out and were just never able to move past it and trying to reconnect with them would just never work. Also a person may have just to much drama in their life and decide to say  enough and just abandon their  avatar and move on to a new one with a fresh start ( sometimes leaving behind people that actually cared because it was all too much).

2 years ago i had a falling out with a sister/old friend over something petty and stupid. I thought we were done for good and slowly over time i realized i was completly rediculous about the whole thing, but by then i felt it was too late and that she wouldnt ever want to be friends again. Long after this i was already using a second account as my main having got bored with my other one. Well one day a few months ago i made the leap to contact her. We are close as ever now. Its like our friendship picked up where it was back before the argument.

So 2 years later and we reconnected. It is possible. There is no guarentee if you reconnect that it could ever be the same as what you had before. You may just end up  saying a few words on ocassion but never really having much of a friendship again. Do give it time though if you try.

• 8 years later...

As far as I know, almost everyone I've ever known and loved on Second Life have been transported to some other reality and no longer exist on this timeline's Earth. Or they've died. Or they were never real, they were always just NPCs animated by AIs masquerading as human beings on this giant holodeck we call home. I don't believe anything has come up that is an equivalent replacement to Second Life and yet they're all gone like they turned a corner and when you followed them there was nothing. I suppose some of them found happy endings, and I knew of a few who met quite sordid fates, like they were led off by predators to "safe spaces" where some of the very nicest and most vulnerable souls on the grid were insidiously devoured. Strange things happen where worlds meet and overlap with the meta. Secretly, I hope to disappear, too. I envy those who died before me and have already ascended, and I resent those who seemingly for sport hid the existential joy of this game we call life from its players for most of their lives, utterly spoiling the game and the plot for those of us who love the medium. I guess we're going to see whether or not the DM will salvage this thing we call material life grounded on Earth and manages to transform it into something positive that is enveloped only in light, love, and beauty, or what exactly it is that fate now decrees. Quite frankly, I'm getting bored waiting for a meaningful and hopefully final resolution to the preceding chapter of existence so that I might be unbound and freed to continue along the path of my life, which strangely leads it away from a dying Earth I've grown quite weary of.

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

I would be interested to know if someone has recconected with someone who was awol for quite a while and was it the same or didn't it feel right?

In Second Life or in Real Life?

From my own experience:

In Second Life it did not feel right.

In Real Life it did not feel right.

There is usually a reason why we lose the connection in the first place, either because we choose to cut loose from that person, or because they do. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
don't blame me, I did not necropost on a thread eight years old
  • Like 2

I keep in touch in SL with my former landlady/ best friend who made me homeless in RL and let other people steal my stuff. It was a bad split that broke my heart, but there were reasons for both of us acting as we did, so I don't hold a grudge against her. Were it not for SL, she and I wouldn't speak at all to each other, so I'm glad we can still be passibly friendly through SL. I helped her get her Linden Home and set it up so her SL partner can rez stuff in it.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.