problem with a texture 3d mxs

Jumbomahmo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Jumbo :)

Are you trying to make a cube which when uploaded and rezzed inworld you can give each face a separate texture?

If so, in3D max you need give each face a different material  then UV unwrap the cube so that all 6 faces occupy all of the UV space. The individual faces will be stacked on top of each other.

Cube 6 materials UV unwrap.png

I have been searching Google for a tutorial but as a Blender user I find everything to do with 3D max horribly complicated.

I'm sure it is very simple to do in Max (a couple of the videos I watched seemed to have the default UVW unwrap of a cube as overlapping shells but ............... they always went on to separate them )

From watching your video it looks like you are stacking the shells correctly so maybe you need to look at your material / face assignment ?

I can only hope that a 3D max user will come along and explain where you are going wrong.

Patience :)

Hi again

I did some more searching and found this :

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/3DS-Max-Design-not-exporting-Face-ID-s/td-p/2050501

Look at Kwaks suggestion in message number 2.

Kwak is saying that the   fbx plugin 2013.1 for 3D max 2013 has problems. At 2:37 in the video you posted it looks like you are using FBX EXPORT (Version 2013 (1)

So I think you should follow Kwaks advice and use the fbx exporter version 2013.2    or   2013.3

The problem is you are using 7 sub-materials in your multi/sub-object material. Click on the "Set number" and change it to 6. Additionally, you do not have to set the channels for the box manually, the default 3ds Max box already has 6 separate channels.

I'm not 100% where it goes wrong, but the 7th material confuses either 3ds max or the exporter. You can see in you SL upload window every face on the cube is duplicated 6 times.

Did you start with a new object?

Did you change your exporter too?

In the video I see all kinds of warnings/errors, one of them saying you're not using an official exporter.

I also notice you UV unwrap the box, flatten the UVs, then stretch them out again, that is completely unneccecary, you end up with what you started with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.