mesh totally deformed after upload

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello everyone

Again :matte-motes-not-entertained:

I have this new problem and i need your help

when i upload my object it look fine ..this is the object in the uploader 

ScreenHunter_25 Sep. 21 15.39.jpg

but when uploaded in world it look like this :

ScreenHunter_26 Sep. 21 15.41.jpg

I 'm really sad and i dont have any ideas where the problem come from .. can you help me please 

Are you trying to upload all those pieces at once?

Did you JOIN THEM?

Did you apply location, rotation and scale before export?

They also look mighty smooth and you cut off the vertices numbers so it could be a dense mesh issue also, but I am thinking not. Something to think about though just in general.

It is a little hard to guess when I have no idea what this is LOL.  Sorry.

Are you trying to upload all those pieces at once?

yes

Did you JOIN THEM?

i combine only 3 rings showen  with sphere

Did you apply location, rotation and scale before export?

what do you mean by location? but i made a rotation and scale yes

this is the entire image in aploader :

ScreenHunter_28 Sep. 21 18.31.jpg

But i tried to upload a simple torus and the same problem.. deformed

in the uploader :

ScreenHunter_29 Sep. 21 18.33.jpg

in beta grid

ScreenHunter_31 Sep. 21 18.34.jpg

i wood like to say that im new in 3d world so thanks for your support:matte-motes-grin:

Looks like these things are too tiny. There is a minimum scale in SL which is 1cm. If you upload something below 1cm in one, or more dimensions, it will be streched to 1cm in-world.

Also, about the orientation. Depending on your modeling program you should apply scale/rotation (Blender), ResetXForms (3ds Max), Freeze and delete History (Maya) before you export your meshes.

Make sure the meshes are at least 1cm in any dimension. This can be achieved by merging all those pieces into one mesh, or by adding larger geometry to the tiny pieces, which will be invisible inworld.

An easy way to achieve that is by adding a single triangle with all 3 vertices on a line (2 of them superimposed).

Nano_002.jpg

OK :D

So trying to upload a lot of separate (unjoined) items is typically not the best idea BUT your torus is doing the same thing.

So that is definitely not good :D  

There could be something wrong with the beta grid uploader. While it will cost you $11 you might try uploading the TORUS to the regular grid and see if the issue still happens. If it does and you are using the Linden viewer (I use Firestorm) then you can put in a JIRA report.

I am thinking though that if this was an actually issue more folks would be yelling. I uploaded on both beta and regular grid day before yesterday with no issues.  

I just went over to the beta grid and uploaded a plain torus. I didn't have your issues at all.

I use Blender. If you are using another 3D program it could possibly be connected to that, but I can't help you there.

LOCATION is available in the same menu as rotation and scale.  You can find it here in Blender. Someone told me when I was starting out that they always applied "location, rotation and scale" before exporting. I also transform the origin to geometry. That solves lots of problem IN GENERAL (not yours though :D).  Often times you can very ugly shadows on objects if you have copied and moved them and not applied location (this in Blender - don't know about other programs).

blender.jpg

Hope someone else has some ideas. Until you can get your torus to upload correctly you are pretty stuck. BUT uploading all those pieces at once AND with dense mesh isn't a good idea here :D.

So your torus COULD be 16 instead of 32 for example with NO subsurf modifiers. Stay away from those unless REALLY necessary. :D.

Good luck.

hello again

i uploaded a torus in main grid same problem

but i do something i uploaded a torus from blender and it upload perfectly

so i think is a maya problem .. maybe i have some complications i have to fix

many thanks Chic, arton :matte-motes-wink:

MilaaMiami wrote:

i think too that 1600 is over for a simple torus..can you please give me some advises on how to reduce triangles .. i use maya as software ?

Select every second edge loop in your geometry (by double clicking the first loop and shift-double-clicking the following ones).

Press ctrl-Delete to delete the selected edge loops.

I don't work with Maya, so I can't give you (=OP)  the commands. Selecting every second loop, in both directions, sounds like a good start.

With 1600 as a start you would end up with 400 triangles. Do it again and you'll end up with 100.

Of course you can select every third loop or every second and third loop. For a simple reduction like this you could try out the automatic reduction (decimate in Blender, optimize in 3ds Max). There was a recent thread here in the mesh section with the Maya version of it mentioned.

Anyway, I'd build a small torus with 6 sides for the section and maybe 12 or 16 sides for the path. You'll stay under 200 faces with those numbers. A very small torus maybe 4 x 8? Just try out what works for you.

EDIT...duh:) The "recent thread" was the very thread the OP mentioned....

Jake , Kwakkeelde many thanks 

I tried this in a torus, i deleted some edges and i end up with 1200 triangles ..before it was 1600

but when i try to do more than that the geometry go deformed

a torus with 100 triangle ..just waww  .. can you please show a picture how it look with triangles on it  ..I'd love to arrive too :matte-motes-smile:

For under 100 faces (96 triangles) you get the torus on the left. I can understand that might look a bit blocky to you, but if you ask me it's a very convincing torus nonetheless. The one in the middle is 192 triangles and looks considerably more smooth. Personally I wouldn't go any higher than something similair to the one on the right, which has 384 triangles.

Tori.png

It's still not perfectly smooth, but you have to consider the fact we're not building items for static renders. Every object has to be rendered 10-60 times a second. You could rezz a prim torus next to it for comparison. I don't think anyone will say that the SL torus isn't smooth enough, but if you zoom in you'll see it's pretty blocky too.

That being said, your 1200 triangle torus is still better than a sculpty:) (assuming the LoDs are similair)

The high LOD prim torus has 1152 triangles. It is so high because it has to keep an acceptable profile with all possible ratios of outer and inner radii. Thus it has 24 segments around the perimeter and 24 around the tube (24x24x2=1152). When you have a thin tube, as in your example, the 24 segmnts around it vare wasted. Here is a couple of pictures of torusesm rendered first and wireframe second. They all have 24 segments around the perimeter, but fewer around the tube as you go downwards, 24, 12 (every other one removed), 8 (2/3 removed) and 6 (3/4 removed). So the toruses have 1152, 576, 384 and 288 triangles. While the efffect of removal is fairly obvious with the fat torus on the left, it is barely noticeable with the thin torus on the right. It's important to use smooth shading to get the advantage of reduction without obvious faceting.

toruses.png

toruseswf.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.