how to show 3d on picture ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello everyone 

i have a question , many designers shows them vendors  pictures with 3d on it

i'd like to know if they do that in photoshop... i mean they exports 3d in photoshop and  they move it on picture ?

when i try to do the same i have a annuying black around 3d but in the  vendors the 3ds looks cleans .

here some exemples :

15341333302_2020b451b4.jpg

14363572569_2a8c0edd49_c.jpg

Perhaps first of all it's good to mention that all pictures are always 2D, you can laugh but I did have the discussion with somebody before that a 3D texture (shadows etc to give depth) will take more time to upload then a 2D, nonsense of course.

Once rendered by the use of shadows, Occlusion, specularity maps, reflections and other optical effects our eyes are tricked in a impression of 3D and yes they do can look very realistic 3D.

As mentioned above (sorry can't see the name anymore) I'm pretty sure that the shoes are rendered in a 3D program most problably by using something called global illumination and even more possible Image based lighting (IbL). It are relatively advanced setting in for example maya.

The "ground" surface as well as the shoes have been given shiny material as a blin, phong, e phong. The program will calculate the reflection and glossiness of both material and will generate a reflection on each other depending the setting you chose.

Second live implemented this functionality in a simplified way which can be made visible by activating "Advanced lighting model" and "Ambient occlusion" in preferences under graphics -> general. Mind it might be possible that you're FPS drop quite a bit.

Personally I do such renders in maya. I do believe that since Ps SC4 a 3D module has been added to it, for sure SC5 and a much better version has been launched since SC6. I presume you should be able to make a render in Ps though since not really needed for me I'm not the right person to help you with this one. Sorry...

Youtube vids might give you something to put you on the track.

If you are talking about the mirror affect, that is likely done in Blender as a render. Here is a quick render that I just did with a hard hat.

Hardhat render.png

The mirrored floor is just a plane, with a material on it that has a high specular reflection, and I have checked the mirrored option with a strength of .5.

mirror-floor.jpg

Of course my lighting isn't set up all that well, but that is the basics on how to get that mirrored reflection.

Ok perhaps it's better to explain my point of view and it was specific to this question. I have no intention of making a fuz about it.

By convention we call this work 3D since our eyes are tricked in a 3D experience due to a number of above mentioned reasons and more. This is nothing new, the illusion of 3D goes back till the Flemish primitives (perhaps earlier, I'm not an my major is not art history). Our tools became much more advanced an accurate so that the illusion becomes very realistic and faster obtained.

Might become a bit phylosophical but it was just to indicate that for those shoes the 3D effects are a number of effect  as for example: specularity, perspective, occlusions, shadows, reflections, highlights etc. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.