having problem working with mesh.

Yuzuki Ultsch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi all i had problem for few now working with mesh at first when seen this happening i was thinking i need uv map so i can work on faces every mesh i upload i click on one of faces it's all sides not like face 1 or 0 i know i got be doing something last night i start work with mesh again try fix problem i did uv mapping was hoping that help i upload what i made still all sides even if click one of parts get face does not change so i got be doing something i love some help blender am useing is 2.62 i just downloaded maya i plan start useing that please help try fix this or learn how do it right thanks.

blender2.png

Did you assign materials to specific areas on your model?  That's how you create "faces" that SL will recognize.  You can divide your model up into as many as 8 different materials, each one corresponding to a different "face" in the uploaded model.  The areas do not have to be contiguous.  That means, for example, that you can assign one material to the tires in a vehicle model, another one to the body, another to the seats, and so forth.  When the model is uploaded, you can apply a separate texture and color to each "face" and you can use each one as a separate touchable surface if you are scripting with llDetectedTouchFace(). 

The reason I am putting "face" in quotes is that I am using it the way we do in SL.  I don't mean a face in Blender or Maya.  You assign materials to collections of faces on your model in Blender to define the "faces" on the final SL model.  See http://blog.machinimatrix.org/materials-and-textures/

ALSO :D --

After you have assigned materials (now an everyday thing for me but I remember it took awhile to get my head around all that) and upload you will still find that mesh doesn't act the same way as a prim. If you only use ONE map for the whole build, then you can just add the texture by dragging into the texture panel.  IF however you have multiple maps (no wrong or right way here -- depends on your build) you will need to "select a face" and then drag the appropriate texture over. And with mesh it isn't always obvious that you have selected the face (at least with my viewer and settings). So don't panic.

Even if you use only one map you can still have up to eight materials assigned. This is handy if you want to tint some parts or add normal or specular maps -- or indeed even just the old shiny thing.

There are lots of good tutorials on the web about assiging materials. You also need to spend a lot of time getting the hang of making good ambient or UV maps (whichever you use) as that is an art in itself and takes some time to get it down -- wisely.

Have fun!

Just another tip - if you set your Blender materials to different colours, those will be there when you rez the uploaded mesh when you don't upload textures with the model. That lets you see easily whether you have the result you expected,in Blender before you upload and in SL afterwards. Then "Select Face" will select the whole of the colour/material/face and you can recolor or texture it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.