general problems with blender no idea what I'm doing wrong

Alucard33952

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

my girlfriend wanted a pair of legs for one of her avatars so I decided to try and man up and make them for her downloaded blender and a prebuilt rig and made the legs  attatched the legs to it and now I have this issue, when I preview before uploading the preview only shows one of the legs so does that mean its only reading one of the legs from the file ? also how will I know that the rig thing that I did worked ? 

If you see two legs in Blender but only one in the uploader, I would think you are using a mirror modifier in Blender, but did not check 'Apply modifiers' in the dae exporter.

If everything works in Blender, rig-wise, it should work after upload provided you use the correct settings both in the dae exporter in Blender and in the importer to SL. In the exporter, make sure you have the options to include armatures and to export for Second life checked, and in the importer, on the last tab (which I forget what is called) make sure you have the option to include rigging info (I think that's it...) checked. With these things set, the rig should work.

There are quite a few tutorials available on the subject. Have a look on youtube, and you will definitely find a few videos that explains this better than I can. :)

• Like 1

thanks for the help but I double checked the blender file the only modifier I have open is the armature one but if  i click apply on that I can no longer pose the legs with the armature and the newest version of blender doesnt have a seperate dae exporter and if it does have an " apply modifiers" thing I need to check I cant find it I did find a video and copied it as close as I could but it didnt help much with this problem =/

You're correct about the armature modifier should not be applied. 

I'm using the latest Blender myself, and have a dae exporter in the File->Export menu. I build Blender from source, but I thought dae export was available also on the versions on blender.org and graphicall.org. If you open File->User preferences... and look under the Add-on tab, do you find an option for dae import/export that you can enable? (Visuals of the add-on interface here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Extensions/Python/Add-Ons)
E
TA: It might be an idea to look around http://graphicall.org to see if you find a version of Blender where collada is enabled.

I'm a bit curious - if you don't have collada export in Blender, how do you produce the dae file you upload to SL?

• Like 1

First it would be good to know which Version of Blender you have. But regardless of that you do not have to apply the armature modifer. Infact if you do that, then the objects are exported as static (not rigged).

So in your case i see one of 3 possibilities:

1. You have exported the entire scene. That could confuse the SL Importer.
    In this case all you need to do is:
    - right click on the first legs
    - SHIFT +RMB on the secnd leg
    - File -> Export  and ensure that you have "Export for Second Life" and "Selection Only" both checked
  2. You have only selected one of the 2 legs
    Actually doe the same as described above
  3. Both legs use separate Armatures
    In this case you won't see the secnd leg in the SL Importer but it still would import to Second life. So you could just try the upload and see if both legs are showing up.

If nothing helps, then would it be possible to take a look into your .blend file ? You could use http://pasteall.org/blend as a reliable upload service in that case :)

@Luc Starsider: Since a long time the Collada Exporter is no longer an AddOn module. You won't find it in the User preferences. However you are right, you can build blender without Collada and some Blender versions from GraphicAll.org indeed do not have it.

• Like 1

http://pasteall.org/blend/16229 

thats the file and thanks again for the help going to try what he suggested now I'm using the newest version of blender 2.63 I think it is but the armature file I found in another place and I dont know how that person had the preferences set up I tried shift clicking on each of the legs and it wouldent select them together for me =/

A few remarks:

1. The Rig looks like its from avatar.blend and the default pose has been edited. That means you must also export the armature along with the legs. And import to SL "with weights" AND with "joint positions". And you will HAVE to create your own animations. Otherwise your legs will bend in very unexpected ways.
  2. The armature modifiers both have "Bone envelopes" checked. They only should have checked "vertex groups" Otherwise your pose does not exactly show what you will get in Second Life
  3. One of your armatures has "Preserve Volumes" checked. This is used by Blender's animation system to make bending of the mesh more realistic when the bones move. I doubt that Second Life supports that method. While it certainly looks better in Blender, it may show you misleading results and again it could be possible that your weighting looks different in SL and in Blender (however here i might be wrong, i do not know if SL uses this method or not.
  4. Both legs do have scales different from <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>  and rotations different from <0.0, 0.0, 0.0> This leads to strange effects after uploading. You noticed that already...
    So the first thing to do in this case:
  • go to object mode
  • select the legs
  • Object -> Apply -> Rotation & scale

So you can see there are a lot of little pitfalls to be explored :)

• Like 2

Gaia Clary wrote:

Since a long time the Collada Exporter is no longer an AddOn module. You won't find it in the User preferences. However you are right, you can build blender without Collada and some Blender versions from GraphicAll.org indeed do not have it.

OF COURSE! I knew it didn't sound right... I don't have Blender at hand atm, and got confused when Alucard said he (correct? :)) couldn't find the dae exporter. I haven't thought about it since I started building Blender myself. Thanks Gaia :)

@Alucard. As I said, I don't have Blender on the pc I'm at atm, so I can't take a look at the blend file. If Gaia has the chance to look at it and give you feedback, you'll get much better advice anyway. :)

I don't remember exactly the wording for the options in the dae exporter. In this case, though, since you don't have any other modifiers than the armature, you don't have to find any 'apply modifiers' checkbox.

You *will* have to check the option to include the armature in the dae exporter. Otherwise the rigging info will not be in the collada file, and can't be imported to SL. If the leg bends as it should in Blender, I suspect this is what's happening when you say it does not bend but wiggles back and forth.

Also, personally, in most cases I would join the two legs into one object before exporting. I would probably do this before I added the armature and weight painted the item.

• Like 1

Gaia Clary wrote:

... That means you must also export the armature along with the legs....

Quick question. :)

Don't you have to always have to export the armature with the item regardless of whether you change the joint positions? I thought so from another post of yours in another thread.

• Like 1

allright awsome dude ^^ I have made progress thanks to everyones help here when I uploaded the test file this time it showed both legs though they where not exactly in the right location relative to eachother its a step in the right direction though I had both legs they overlaped eachother

Luc Starsider wrote:

Gaia Clary wrote:

Quick question.
:)

Don't you have to always have to export the armature with the item regardless of whether you change the joint positions? I thought so from another post of yours in another thread.

Well, its a bit tricky and again i am not 100% sure but:

It looks like according to the Collada specifications an object with weight information must also include the armature for which the weight information is created.

For Second life this does not matter, because the default Avatar skeleton is "fixed". So the SL Importer only looks at the weight information assuming(!) that it has been made for the SL skeleton. Only when you added joint offsets, the skeleton information becomes important again and in that case the SL importer expects the skeleton (the rig) to be present in the Collada file.

For our own addon we have decided to go along with the least complex way and now we always include the skeleton into the exported dae files. If i remember correctly the new Blender 2.64 Collada exporter will behave slightly different:

When you try to export a mesh WITHOUT the skeleton, then it will be exported as static mesh! However you can tell the exporter to always "Include Armatures" which is the default Preset for Second Life. You can find a description of the new Collada exporter on the blender wiki

• Like 1

well the only two options I have when exporting to collada are " export only selected " and " export for second life " so of course I have been picking the second life option tried the other one as well while having everything selected but that didnt do anything different and again thank you guys so much for all the help ive learned quite a bit looking into the things youve mentioned and made alot of progress tonight, the legs took maby 10 minutes to model but figuring all this other stuff out has taken me four days alredy 

Gaia Clary wrote:

Luc Starsider wrote:

Gaia Clary wrote:

Quick question.
:)

Well, its a bit tricky and again i am not 100% sure but:

It looks like according to the Collada specifications an object with weight information must also include the armature for which the weight information is created.

For Second life this does not matter, because the default Avatar skeleton is "fixed". So the SL Importer only looks at the weight information assuming(!) that it has been made for the SL skeleton. Only when you added joint offsets, the skeleton information becomes important again and in that case the SL importer expects the skeleton (the rig) to be present in the Collada file.

For our own addon we have decided to go along with the least complex way and now we always include the skeleton into the exported dae files.
If i remember correctly the new Blender 2.64 Collada exporter will behave slightly different:

When you try to export a mesh WITHOUT the skeleton, then it will be exported as static mesh! However you can tell the exporter to always "Include Armatures" which is the default Preset for Second Life. You can find a description of the new Collada exporter on the

Thanks Gaia, for all the information. I keep forgetting that the version I build from svn is in effect 2.64 and not necessarily the same as the official version. So I got confused. Again... :o You're absolutely right - what I was thinking of is the part I bolded re. v. 2.64. And it works excactly as you describe. :)

• Like 1

Alucard33952 wrote:

well the only two options I have when exporting to collada are " export only selected " and " export for second life " so of course I have been picking the second life option tried the other one as well while having everything selected but that didnt do anything different

If you have more objects in the scene (or file?) than you want to upload to SL - including lights and cameras - you're going to want to check 'export only selected' as well as 'export for Second Life'. Otherwise, as Gaia said, you end up with a file containing lots of objects which will confuse the uploader.

Alucard33952 wrote:

the legs took maby 10 minutes to model but figuring all this other stuff out has taken me four days alredy 

Welcome to the club. :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.