MaxTux Wonder
0 Kudos

feet underground bug - second life mesh avatar

When wearing a mesh avatar with non standard joint points, if you resize the height of the avie, the feets goes underground

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XzP6RTqBc

Please vote on jira:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-802

Honored Resident
Ju Weissnicht
0 Kudos

Re: feet underground bug - second life mesh avatar

Reply to MaxTux Wonder - view message

There is a "pelvis Z offset" option in the modifiers tab of the upload menu, you set it to a positive value for a bigger avatar, and a negative value for a smaller one (I use -0.45 for an avatar that's 15% of the default size). At least this works fine for me.

MaxTux Wonder
0 Kudos

Reply to Ju Weissnicht - view message

i tried different uploads, with different pelvis z offset, the problem is still here, it shows up only on avatar resize.

Rusalka Writer
0 Kudos

I had the same problem, created a jira (747), was told they fixed it, and still have the same problem. So now I call it a "feature." I have noticed that the large offsets seem to work, but the subtle ones fail on resize, standing from sitting or flying, and sim crossing.

Linden
Nyx Linden
0 Kudos

Reply to Rusalka Writer - view message

z offset is specified as a static value on upload. If you resize the avatar from the state when it was updated, then the z-offset will be incorrect.

There is not an "easy" way to determine programatically exactly how much the z-offset needs to be scaled or modified if you resize the avatar. There are some ways to do it based on the avatar's skeleton, which is how the offset is computed for non-rigged avatars, but having a manually specified z-offset is the creator telling the system "ignore what you know about the size of this avatar, the pelvis should be this far off the ground". It would be nice to provide a mechanism for the creator to specify how that value should change as the avatar gets modified, or to figure out a way to reliably calculate what the new value should be, but its not a huge priority for us immediately.

Topics: 19
0 Kudos

Reply to Nyx Linden - view message

Nyx Linden wrote:

would be nice to provide a mechanism for the creator to specify how that value should change as the avatar gets modified, or to figure out a way to reliably calculate what the new value should be, but its not a huge priority for us immediately.

If we provide a physics shape for a rigged mesh, can that be used to determine the correct pelvis-to-ground distance?  The physics shape would not need to be provided for items that only are used above the feet (jacket, hat, etc).  But for full body avatars or shoes, it would tell you what the intended lowest point in contact with the ground is, and the calculate the ground-to-hip-bone height from that.  If the avatar is resized in Appearance, then redo the bottom to hip calculation.  The presense of the physics shape is what tells you "the creator wants the ground contact to be here".

Builder and newbie helper in SL and other virtual worlds. Download free Mesh Avatar templates from http://www.mediafire.com/?ta3szqyh1qgntnz
Honored Resident
Etheria Parrott
0 Kudos

Perhaps ensure the object centre of the mesh is at the base of your model and not in the true centre. 

I make tiny puppy avatars and clothing for Wynx tiny avs
MaxTux Wonder
0 Kudos

Reply to Nyx Linden - view message

Nix, the problem remains even if there is not a z-offset on the upload:

screenshot3.png