collision and analysis problem

MistrVi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

<body> 

Hello guys,

ok i am a new builder and i v seen multiple tutorials and FAQs before i post this , trying to find a solution like crazy but i am at a deadend and i ld appreciate your help a  lot. So here is my problem : i have built a mesh house  using blender and my problem is that i CANT walk through the door (i created the holes with modifirers-boolean option). I have tried setting features from convex hull to prim, but it still wont work. Now the thing is that i do analyse physics using  high detail option option BUT!!!! in step 2:analyze i CANT see the 3 methods , it only says default . What am i doing wrong? 
In Blender i v set physics (Blender Game) so Collision bounds are switched to triangle mesh. I really dont know what to do and i v spent so many hours with no result. I ld appreciate your help :) kind regards 

Mr V Martell

</body>

In Second Life  ( :D)  you need to make a physics model for you house -- either the whole house or sections of a house. There are many very good explanation on THIS forum. 

Lots of pictures and such. Try searching for "can't walk through door" or "house physics" and I am guessing you will find them. OR someone that already answered a few dozen times can lead you to their thread.

Note this is not necessary on other grids or platforms. I am still not clear why the choice was made to have it mandatory here. "I"  would like to know the reasoning behind it -- guessing there is a technical one.  REALLY, I would.

Good luck. Be sure and practice on the beta grid or learning could get VERY expensive.

• Like 1

thank you for ur fast reply :) , yes i v done that , but in most cases the hull to prim feature switch ld make the trick. I dont know what else i can do  in blender to create a suitable physics map than toggling triangle mesh at collision bounds . I ld appreciate if someone experienced could guide me cause i read many guides and searched EXACTLY what u adviced before i post this but i just cant figure out what i m doing wrong. And why i cant see those 3 methods on analysis ...

I think you need to give us more information describing exactly what you did. There are so many possible explanations that it's impossible to know where to start without a bit more information. It's nearly always one simple thing that's been overlooked.

In particular, we need to know whether your house was multiple Blender objects; exactly what options you chose for everything in the physics tab of the uploader; whether you used a special physics mesh or (which) one of the LOD meshes; whether you used "Simplify" at all; what you saw in the uploader physics preview (including the exploded view); what the physics shapw looked like after you uploaded and rezzed (Develop Menu->Render Metadata->Physics shapes). Pictures. Blender/uploader/inworld can tell a lot. (So can Blender and/or collada files if you make them avaliable.)

For working out the problems yourself, it is best to start with a very simple models, maybe just the part of your model with one wall with a door in it, and then gradually add bits back to see if you can identify the step where the problem comes from.

ETA: also, if you leave the house somewhere we can look at it, and say where, that might help too.

• Like 1

Hi :)

As Drongle said an hour spent experimenting with a very simple "house" will not be wasted.

Have a look at message number 5 here  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Problem-with-home-mesh/m-p/1787413#M18544  and redo the experiment yourself.

Basically there are two types of physics model you can make for your house :

1: Using simple non overlapping boxes to block out the walls floors and roof of your building as if you were using SL prims.

Upload your mesh house as usual and then open the Physics tab of the mesh Uploader and in Step 1 upload the physics mesh

In Step 2 hit the Analyze button .

2: Using as few planes as possible rebuild your house. This means ignore any small surface details and only have the planes where you really need them for collision walls floors and roof .(Windows generally be can be ignored). When using this method avoid small or thin Planes, for example unless you have exceptionally thick walls you don't don't need to include the faces that make up the thickness of a wall (around door openings etc). Small thin planes/triangles will cause the Physics weight part of the LI to increase disproportionately.

Upload this Physics model in Step 1 of the Physics tab in the mesh Uploader but this time do not touch the Analyze button.

In both methods its useful to make a copy of your mesh house and move it to a separate layer then use the copy as a starting point to create the Physics mesh.

Very important: When making a physics mesh the physics mesh bounding box should match the Visual mesh bounding  box

For each visual mesh object that makes up you building you will need to create its own Physics mesh object.

OK. I had a look. The physics shape is hull-based, made with "Analyze", which is ok. The fit to the visible mesh is good (same bounding box). Looks like the high LOD mesh was used also for the physics shape, so the holes don't get closed by the LOD generator (a common problem). In the pcture, we can see the problem. This is using the physics shape display, unselected at top and selected, to show the mesh edges, below. The window on the right is fine, but the door on the left is closed over by the physics shape. The corner window in the middle is half way between, partly obscured. So the question is how to avoid the closing over of the door etc. I think this has happened because of the complexity of the whole mesh used for the physics shape.

The algorithm has ignored some openings to arrive at a set of hulls that is simple enough. The best way to improve on this is to make a purpose-made physics shape. In the second picture, A simple vwersion of one of your walls is shown at the top. Th vertices have been minimised to minimise the download weight. That is fine for the visible mesh, but is not the best for guiding the "Analyze" into a set of convex hulls (which is what Analyze does). The best solution is to provide the physics mesh already made of convex hulls - in the example below, just simple rectangular boxes, and to have them non-overlapping, so the algorithm doesn't have to sort out the overlaps (it will usually make extra hulls). If you make a physics mesh like this, just non-overlapping boxes, it should "Analyze" properly. Use the minimum number of boxes to keep the physics weight down. For example, if you don't need to go through the windows, don't have them in the physics mesh. Remember the bounding box of the physics mesh and the visible mesh must be the same.

The alternative is to use a triangle-based mes (no Analyze). That will also require a purpose made mesh, to remove the narrow triangles along all the wall edges etc. It's probably harder to get right than using the hull-based mesh, although properly optimised, it can result in lower physics weights.

viphys.jpg

viphys2.jpg

.... i.e. What Aquilla said :matte-motes-smile:

• Like 1

I do see your point, but i m aware of it.... thing is that i have dissolved faces so they appear as 1 near the door. They are not triangle faces as your 1st image shows. I think, though, that copying the mesh and altering  the near door faces so they look like ur 2nd image maybe do the job. I will try it tomorrow and show the results. and also upload an edit mode picture so you can see the faces . Thank you for your tips and responses :) 

You were right.... i just used rectangular walls near entrances and physics worked just fine. and yes, i observed that when i analyzed physics before , there was a semi transparent triangle covering the half of the entrance but not with rectangular walls. I believe it was because i used boolean (difference) to cut the entrance . Result was to just triangulate everything in the building which messed up my physics. If i use rectangular walls i think there is no need for an extra physics map at least as it comes to houses... 

Anyway thank you for your help, i wouldnt v figured out :) 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.