Drongle McMahon
Topics: 38
0 Kudos

Re: What is "PE Weight" ?

Reply to Gaia Clary - view message

I agree entirely. The hiden double meaning of "prim" is badly confusing. It should say "i object" instead of "1 prim". I think  "1 mersh" would then be wrong for non-mesh objects. The meanings of "prim" are (a) standard or sculpted object, and (b) unit of cost charged against the parcel content allowance. Both are rather deeeply embedded in the UI and documentation, and it didn't matter as long as they were always the same. PE is only used if the (linked) object has at least one mesh; call it a "meshy" object. So I guess that is how they hope to avoid confusion.

Oh dear, it's worse than that....

Two separate objects, a mesh door and a standard box....

door - "1 objects (1 prims) selected: PE weight 3.0."

box - "1 objects (1 prims) selected."

both - "2 objects (2 prims) selected: PE weifgt 4.0."

Now link with box root...

linked - "1 object (2 prims) selected: PE weight 5.0."

edit linked, door - "0 objects (1 prims) selected: PE weight 5.0."

edit linked, box - "0 objects (1 prims) selected: PE weight 5.0."

So: (a) plural for one object/prim (b) still calling a mesh a prim (in the parentheses) whether it's alone or linked in a meshy object (c) zero objects (d) gives no information on cost of components of linkset (e) it still has the ridiculous effect of adding a prim (server cos) for the linking.

Unless otherwise stated, any viewer-related information refers to the official LL viewer.
Linden
Nyx Linden
0 Kudos

Reply to Drongle McMahon - view message

We've actually had quite a few discussions on terms and vocabulary.

First of all, PE weight is indeed "Prim Equivalent" weight. It is the number of "prims" of land capacity used by the object and should be the highest of the three metrics we measure content on.

We are avoiding labeling this value as "cost" as that gets too closely conflated with the "fee" charged on upload.

The term "object" has generally referred to a linkset in our UI and documentation, which is distinct from a "prim" which is the smallest divisible unit in a linkset. The definition of "prim" is being extended to include mesh prims, just as sculpted prims are still referred to as prims.

Builders should be able to enable a more comprehensive view (showing physics weight and render weight) by enabling the debug option "ShowAdvancedBuilderOptions".

it is being displayed as zero objects because you do not have a full object/linkset selected. I can see how this could be confusing. Suggestions on what to show when a partial object is selected appreciated!

This is the first checkin of the new layout, I'm not surprised there is some confusion and probably some bugs. Definitely keep pointing out where the holes are so we can patch them up before release! Thanks!

-Nyx

Drongle McMahon
Topics: 38
0 Kudos

Reply to Nyx Linden - view message

"Suggestions on what to show when a partial object is selected appreciated!"

"0 objects" -> "1 prim" would fit with your extended definition of "prim" (or "n prims" if n are selected).

Unless otherwise stated, any viewer-related information refers to the official LL viewer.
Gaia Clary
0 Kudos

Nyx Linden wrote:

We've actually had quite a few discussions on terms and vocabulary.

We are avoiding labeling this value as "cost" as that gets too closely conflated with the "fee" charged on upload.

Then would it make sense to rename "Resource Costs" to "Prim Equivalent" in the importer ? Or is resource cost again something different from PE ?

And out of curiosity: Is the Resource cost which is now shown in the debug display anywhere near to what we will see later in the PE ?

the mesh weaver
Ashasekayi Ra
Topics: 23
Kudos: 101
0 Kudos

@Nyx: Now we see that there are three costs associated with mesh: streaming, physics and server. If the server cost is less than the streaming cost, will the final PE equal the streaming cost?

SL Mesh Video Tutorials: All SL Mesh Videos | SL Rigged Clothing Series
Linden
Nyx Linden
0 Kudos

Reply to Ashasekayi Ra - view message

If the streaming weight is the highest weight of the three, the prim equivelancy will be equal to the streaming weight. In that case the server cost will be irrelevant for the currently implemented system.

Ashasekayi Ra
Topics: 23
Kudos: 101
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answer. :smileyhappy:  That clears some things up for me. 

SL Mesh Video Tutorials: All SL Mesh Videos | SL Rigged Clothing Series
arton Rotaru
0 Kudos

Btw. Mesh Experimental Regions are updated. Now PE is the same what is shown in the Show Render Info display.

Honored Resident
Dain Shan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Im still confused.

The advanced Option reveals the following with one of my meshes

Object1.JPG

Display weight = 35 PE is 5

Now i wanted to see what one of my other meshes say about this

Object2.JPG

Display weight 45 therefore 10 points more then the previous mesh.

But the PE is only 2.0 ?

If i use the Render Info from the advanced menue it says the first mesh has a streaming cost of 5.4

And the second has a streaming cost of 1.5

That fits the PE, but the difference in the display weight is somewhat confusing ?

It cant be the physics .. so maybe i get something totally wrong here ?

EDIT:

Forgot to mention im using

Second Life 2.7.5 (233657) Jun 22 2011 14:28:19 (Project Viewer - Mesh)
Release Notes

You are at 206,030.0, 178,884.0, 23.1 in MeshHQ 1 located at sim7007.aditi.lindenlab.com (216.82.40.77:12035)
Mesh Import 11.06.16.233117

Gaia Clary
0 Kudos

Reply to Dain Shan - view message

i was wondering all the time what "Display Weight" is and if it is not just the "rounded (Resource costs * 10)" ? So what do we have now ? And how is it related to each other:

• Resource Cost (RC)
  • Physics Weight (PW)
  • Display Weight (DW)
  • Prim Equivalent Weight (PEW or PE?)

the mesh weaver