What are Linden plants?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

They're mysterious things, grown from seeds cultivated by the same people that provided Jack with his beans. Now that mesh has arrived, they're not as magical as they once seemed, as they too are mesh. That's how they avoided the alpha fighting problems of virtually every other botannical. And, as you've noticed, their land impact is magical, as is the land impact of a Linden Home (zero). There are, as I recall, other magic aspects of Linden Plants, such as weird editing bugs and their mysterious ability to creep around a sim when you're not looking. It's been ages since I landscaped, so those bugs may have been addressed.

• Like 1

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

it is a special kind of legacy object with its own code paths and unique behavior, like the ability to conform to the terrain. the geometry and textures for each species are defined in the viewer. these plants can be modified by editing some XML, but only you would see the changes.

Somewhere buried deep in my far too big inventory, I have some linden plants with a creator name on them of someone I once knew. No idea how he did it, but apparently you can upload them yourself somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if you could make some changes.

Doggy wrote:

I still have no idea why this was removed as it's part of what made Linden Trees ® so appealing latterly.

The answer is:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2711

"The 'RenderAnimateTrees' setting looks strange and queries related to the setting reduce the viewer fps"

and

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28933 

"Restore animated trees, fix bugs that SH-2711 side-stepped"

So it appears that the only reason for the animated trees feature's removal was that they reduced fps - on some low end computers propably?

I liked the animated trees, never had any reduced fps problems with them.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Somewhere buried deep in my far too big inventory, I have some linden plants with a creator name on them of someone I once knew. No idea how he did it, but apparently you can upload them yourself somehow. Wouldn't surprise me if you could make some changes.

those are standard plants, you get your own name as creator if you drop them from the build menu. most people probably take them from the library because the build menu gives you a random species. the species definitions are viewer side, there really is not a way to propagate new species without a viewer update.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

those are standard plants, you get your own name as creator if you drop them from the build menu. most people probably take them from the library because the build menu gives you a random species. the species definitions are viewer side, there really is not a way to propagate new species without a viewer update.

Learning something new every day! In all those years I've never used the build menu for them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.