You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Drago Artful
Topics: 2
Solutions: 0

Weight painting help

I loaded my weighted mesh that I created in Blender into Second Life and it DID NOT look like how I expected it to...  The limbs and everything were flipped around and such, all except my character's left arm which was animating perfectly.  I had painted my mesh with varying degrees of weight and upon examination I realized I forgot to smooth out the weights on my left arm. But, strangely though, it was the only part of my mesh that was animating correctly.

So... am I not supposed to paint my meshes with varying degrees of weight and just hard paint everything with a weight of 1?

I'm a man. Let's barbecue.
Kitsune Shan
Topics: 0
Blog Posts: 0

Re: Weight painting help

Reply to Drago Artful - view message

I don't know how zero weights works on blender...

Make sure you select the correct bone where you want apply the weight and test the avatar before exporting. If it works perfect in blender, it should work perfect in SL.

You maybe can try paint all with 1 as value leaving hard edges. And after painting all and making sure that all vertexs are "attached" to the bones, then you can try make sof some parts.

When a vertexs have a value less than 1, it means that is "attached" 0.X to the bone and the rest to "nothing". When you weight all vertexs with 1 as value to bones, then, when painting soft using like 0.5 or 0.2, the rest (0.5 or 0.8) still "attached" to others bones. This make the shape blend smoothly in motion.

But I don't use blender, I use max, and with max the mesh have always assigned a complete value, so there aren't zero weights vertexs and even have a button to remove those vertexs that's why I think your problem can be here. Just test it a bit more all bones before exporting and if you still having the same issue, make some pics of your mesh and how it blend in blender and the difference in SL.

♪┏((= ̄(エ) ̄=))┛

www.kitsuneshan.com

Drago Artful

WeightedMesh.jpgMeshWeight2.jpg
I'm wondering if the skin weights are not really causing it...  I'm using the collada exporter in Blender 2.55 if that might have anything to do with it.

Kitsune Shan

You can first try exporting the mesh with the skeleton all together selecting both (if you already didn't it).

And can try making a quick test using an old version of blender. You can download it in zip format so you don't need install it for just a test

♪┏((= ̄(エ) ̄=))┛

www.kitsuneshan.com

Drago Artful

I tried Blender 2.49 but it keeps crashing when I try to load my model...

I think for now I'll just work on adding detail to the model and start over on the weight painting in 2.49.  Maybe Blender 2.55's collada exporter is defective and I have to try 2.49's.

Kitsune Shan

Try exporting the model as OBJ and importing into blender 2.49.

♪┏((= ̄(エ) ̄=))┛

www.kitsuneshan.com

Ashasekayi Ra
Topics: 23

Hiya Drago,

Yes, Blender 2.5x has issues with the collada export when it comes to SL skinned mesh. However, Luc Starsider posted a workflow for 2.55/2.49. Basically, you make your model and rig it in Blender 2.55 and save the file. Then, just make a new Blender 2.49 file and choose "Append or Link" from the File menu. After that, choose the Blender 2.55 file that you saved and click "scene" when the menu opens. Then, just go to Export->Collada 1.4. I've tried the workflow, and it worked perfectly.

The original thread: http://blogs.secondlife.com/message/488564#488564

SL Mesh Video Tutorials: All SL Mesh Videos | SL Rigged Clothing Series
Luc Starsider

As has been pointed out, Collada export in Blender 2.55 is not working properly yet. I think it sort of works for static meshes, but not for rigged meshes. (Thanks Ash for mentioning my little linking tip. Good to see that it might be of use to more people than me )

I'm also wondering if you have any modifiers on the mesh - like mirroring and/or subsurf? I think you may have to apply those before exporting. At least the times I've had issues like yours, they've gone away after applying the modifiers. (This is regardless of the apply modifiers setting in the collada export dialog.)

If you don't want to mess up your model by applying the modifiers, I think - but I'm not entirely sure - that you can make a linked duplicate of your model and apply the modifiers on the duplicate. This way you keep the original, modifiers intact, but still have changes to it reflected in the duplicate. (If that makes sence...)

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
Drago Artful

Ah, thanks very much Ash and Luc.  That workflow was what I needed.  Shame I have to have two versions of Blender though... It feels so unnecessary.

Honored Resident
Farah Hannu

Drago Artful wrote:

Ah, thanks very much Ash and Luc.  That workflow was what I needed.  Shame I have to have two versions of Blender though... It feels so unnecessary.

Keep in mind that the version 2.55 of Blender is still a beta. It'll be compatible eventually. You just have to be patient.