Urgent!! Max 2015 MR issues

Anakin Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ive just moved from 3ds max  2013 to MAX 2015, my last model was created in Max 2013....My main issues is rendering to textureing, baking the textures...

I use MR with a basic skylight and MR lights inside the building. What i am experiecing is blurryness in my baked texttures..if i even render a complete map or just a simple diffues map at 2048, it still turns out blurrry... I have even rendered a 4096x4096, the model is only 15m x 25m, really no use to even go that high at 4096, but i still get a burry outcome when i bring it to inworld

The following is my set up:

1) If you closely the brick is really blurry

blrryness_brick.jpg

next is my FG and my renderer set up 

MR render settings FG.png

MR render settings renderer settings.png

and i used Mitchell also..... that didnt seem to work 

ok next is a simple diffuse texture map 

centerstore-mainwallD.jpg

I hope someone can help me solve this. Thanks for those that help

First, you need to know that the maximum size of image that can be uploaded to SL is 1024x1024. If you present the uploader with a larger texture, it will be resized before uploading. Looking at your baked texture, it appears to have about 1.5 pixels per course of bricks. When ot gets resized foe upload, that will be less tha one pixel per brick. That is nowhere near enough resolution for a reasonale appearance. The problem is that the UV mapping you have used cannot provide the texture resolution you need. So what are the solutions? I will go throgh some in stages...

1. Most of you UV map is empty space. All the black area is wasted. You can certainly more than double the dimensions of the UV islands and still fit them all in with a bit of juggling. That would double the pixels per brick.

2. There are a lot of UV islands with identical baked textures. The UV mapping of these can be superimposed (stacked). That will allow an even greater enlarging of the scale of the island, with corresponding increase in pixels per brick. (note that if you start to bake in shadows/ambient occlusion, that becomes more difficult, because shadows have to be identical too, and that requires great care with geometric precision, but it can still be very effective).

3. You can break the mesh surface into up to 8 different materials, each of which can have its own texture applied. Since the textures are applied independently, the UV islands for different materials can overlap, each using all the available 1024x1024 space. This can be combined with the stacking described above. There is a fairly obvious division of your mesh into three materials, but you could go further.

4. As far as you have gone, it looks as if, for the most part, you have simply applied tiled textures to the mesh and baked out the result, without any ambient occlusion etc. In that case, you might just as well apply the original textures and tile them inworld. Some attention to the UV mapping is required for this to work, so that the UV islands are all at the correct scale and orientations. However, I think you may have had these appropriate UV maps for applying your textures before baking (unless a non-UV mapping was used). In that case, all that is necessary is to allocate the mesh faces to materials appropriately for each source texture, and then export the mesh with those UV maps (comnined into one, but still overlapped between materials - SL can only upload a single UV map). Of vourse, this will not work if you want to go on and bake in shadows.

5. If you really still can't get what you need by using 8 materials, you can go even further by breaking the model into separate meshes, with up to 8 materials each.

Note: in 3 & 4, the materials in the source software become "faces" ib SL, so that different textures and repeats can be applied to each.

ETA: can't help with any Max-specific details because I don't use it. Someone else may add those.

I am not familiar with Max but I have had texture bake issues (very bad issues actually) after starting to use Maya2015. Previous version baked very well.

It took a lot of time to find a reason, but it turned out to be Mental ray "Unified sampling"-option. Unified Sampling is default in Mental ray in my case, but it just did not work. Results vere very blocky and there was a lot of black spots all around the texture. No matter how high the quality settings were.

After setting the sampling mode to Legacy everthing worked very fine.

I see in your mentalray setting this Unified sampling. How about trying some other sampling method?

My aplogies, I am not familiar with Max, but I think mentalray is quite about same both in Maya and Max.

MR quality settings:

adaptive_sampling_mr.JPG

I run 3ds Max 2013, could install 2015 since I've got the subscription, but to me it looks like that won't do you any good.

Going by the UV map you are using you will never be able to get sharp images. You aren't using even 50% of the canvas and even if you did, it wouldn't be enough. You have about 200 pixels in height for an entire facade on a 2048x2048 map. So in SL that will be (as Drongle said SL uses a max of 1024) reduces to 100 pixels.  Simply split up your UV map into several ones and I bet you will get better results.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3453 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.