Uploading a linkset

anselm Hexicola

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sometimes one needs to split a model into separate parts, for instance if it is to be a scripted mechanism.

All well and good; however I have never, ever got the hang of uploadng the lower LOD's of a linkset.

I have tried everything I can think of (for instance, selecting the individual objects in my scene in Blender in an identical order to how the high LOD versions were selected), but in the Uploader window I invariably get that dreaded "Error:Material of model is not a subset of reference model"

Just to be clear, if I upload any individual object belonging to that same linkset, then I can provide it with a range of LOD .dae's, no problem. (..which is what I end up doing, and then try to align everything inworld..)

It is only when I export whole linksets at different LOD's that the SL uploader seems to have a problem with my .dae files.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Most likely you are running into the problem of getting the right medium-LOD mesh associated with the right high-LOD mesh etc., etc. (include physics too, below, if you have a physics mesh there). The only think the uploader uses for this is the order of the objects in the collada (dae) file. So the first medium object will be associated with the first high object, etc. Fortunately Gaia got the option "Sort by object name" added to the exp[orter, and that makes it possible to control the order. All you have to to is use an object naming convention that makes corresponding objects appear in the same alphabetical order in the different LOD (and physics) files. This is easiest if you nuse the same names with a LOD-indicating suffix, as in "wall_hi" and "roof_hi", in the high LOD export, then "wall_med" and "roof_med", in the medium LOD file, and so on.

Yes, checking that box "Sort by object name" made it all work fine - never noticed that option before!

I already had a strict "naming convention" in the "Item" field of my Blender objects -  albeit in the format of (say) "tripod (high LOD)", "tripod (low LOD)", etc.

SO, happy that I can upload my multi-LOD linksets, but unclear as to what that checkbox does that my own labelling fails to achieve ..

Anyway, many thanks.

[edited for typo]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3447 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.