Unrigged mesh is deformed when uploading from Maya

Ceyliinee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I created a mesh in Maya and I want to upload it to SL. I exported it and in the preview window in the upload screen it looks how its supposed to look:

http://i.imgur.com/uelmrHr.png

However when its work or rezzed it looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/j1qm7Cb.png

No idea how this happens. I made objects before and they looked fine, in the preview and when worn. The difference was, those objects were rigged to the avatar bones, the one I try to make now is an unrigged mesh. I guess thats where it goes wrong? Because I tried rigging this object and when I did that it looked fine as well.

Looks like it's 2 seperate meshes, and they are smaller than 1cm in one more dimenson. Those sides which are less than 1cm will be streched in-world. You'll have to add invisible geometry to keep the shapes.

An easy way to achieve that is by adding a single triangle where 2 vertices share the same location. Leaving just a line going across the bounding box. This line won't render in-world.Nano_002.jpg

Thanks for the answer, I added a triangle like you said and made it almost invisible. Now it looks fine. Only thing is that its really tiny, but that has something to do with the units setup from Maya/Collada I assume. I can scale it inworld too, no problem, it now looks good.

Well, if you want it to be bigger anyway, I would skip the nano mesh workaround indeed, and scale it bigger before uploading. Easiest way would be to setup Maya so that it will export in SL scale. Or you can scale it bigger in the SL upload window, in the Upload  Options Tab.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this problem a lot, and the above solution is a good one. However:

A much easier way to get your objects to scale properly is just change the scale in the "upload options" tab of the mesh uploader window. I generally scale mine up 10x or more, as Maya's default scale in the viewport is very small compared to SL, so when SL tries to upload the file, it has to scale parts up to match with the .01 lower size limit. That's why things look so weird!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.