UV map unwrap problem

MistrVi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey again guys !
Ok i have an issue unwrapping my buildings UV maps . I use blender  i unwrap  as a smart UV object and bake my materials on image. It works FINE with walls and cubes, but when the map is  more complicated  and despite the fact that it will work fine with smart UV in blender, when i apply the texture in SL, it is all messed up. Here is what i mean: in the image i only use smart uv unwrapping and i bake. as u can see, ground floor wall and 1st floors little room unwrapping worked fine but, in the first floor , its messed up. It seems fine in blender, but i cant get it to work in SL. Some help? I also tried with various other unwrapping technics but nada! UV map.jpg

Do you have more then 8 materials in your build? If so that could be the issue. More than one UV map?  I know that can cause issues. In SL you can only have 8 materials per upload . If you need more you can upload your build in pieces which most folks do anyway then link in world. The physics models are usually easier to do that way and the land impact is often lower. So an option.

There is also apparently an issue with multiple UV maps?  I have never had a problem so I can't speak to that but someone else can.  AND, you might want to map your build and then add textures inworld as you have more options that way.  Since I can't really tell what is going on, if it were ME, I would try uploading JUST the piece that you are having issues with (a few of them - not all) and see if the texture is OK then. That would give you a basis for more testing as needed.

Also while "Smart" unwrap is FAST, it is definitely not the least bit smart. You need to learn how to unwrap manually  :D. It takes some practice but eventually is isn't nearly as painful as in the beginning -- kind of like a puzzle to solve. There are various tutorials on unwrapping and Medhune (not sure I spelled that correctly) did one not long ago. So check YouTube.

That's all I got. Late for me. Good luck.

• Like 1

thanx for you reply :) you are very helpful. I only have 2(!!) materials though.and i have also tried to upload it alone and stuff.. My building is in pieces anyway, so the 1st floors map looks like this , i just apply it and the result is the above... maybe it has something to do with smart UV object maps? but why it works in cube-like rooms or 1 prim walls ?>.<. I prefer to add baked textures, cause you can bake shading, Ambient occlusion or just full render which is more realistic.1st floor UV map.png

Guess: The box has transparent areas which are having the transparent areas of the texture applied to them. This means the UV map in the mesh is not the one used to maje the texture. Either you changed the UV map after exporting the da file, or you uploaded a file with multiple UV maps. Since we discussed the second (multiple maps) in a previous thread, I suppose it's more ;ikely to be the first. Whenever you change the UV mapping, you have to export and upload the mesh again, otherwise the UV maps of the mesh and the new baked texture will not match. The UV maps for the mesh upload and the texture bake must be the same.

Sometimes you might do the right uploades, but then accidentally put together unmatched mesh and textures from your inventory. To avoid that, use a version number in the names.

By the way, unless you need transparent areas, it's better to use a texture without transparency (no alpha channel; 24 bits, bot 32 bits).

• Like 1

i have uploaded the mesh again, applied the textures from the UV map that i v just created but i had the same problem. I believe that SL has a unique wrapping technic which sometimes does not match the blender's one. But as soon as u export collada for SL + opensim and upload the textures too, its all fine. U can just upload textures with ur mesh then when asked and its all solved. Tbh thats the best option cause u just bake your material textures on your UV maps using a full render option and the results are far more realistic.

Thanx for your help ;)

When you upload the texture with the mesh, the uploader still uploads the mesh and texture(s) separately. It just does both with a single click. You can find the separate texture(s) in your inventory if you know where to look*. Then it uses exactly the same process to apply the texture as if you had uploaded them separately. You can check this by applying the texture from there just as you would a separately uploaded texture. So if the problem was the result of an "SL wrapping technique", then uploading them together would not avoid the problem. If you prefer to use simultaneous upload, rather than trying to identify the real source of the problem, that's fine, but there is no need to invent problems in SL that don't exist.

*It's in a subfolder of the "Textures" folder with the same name as the mesh object. So if the mesh is called "Meshx", then the texture(s) are in Textures/Meshx/Meshx - Texture 1, Textures/Meshx/Meshx - Texture 2, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.