Trouble with Object import

Cara1996

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Community!

I have create a mesh building in Blender, and now i want to import it at the SL Beta grid.

But if i Upload it, all the textures are shift random over the model like you can see on the Picture on the right-bottom. (Its not only in the upload preview)

is there a texture Limit to upload them together with a mesh object? Or what can be the reason of this Problem?

I would not like to upload all textures separately.

Import Problem.jpg

My guess would be that you used two UV maps; one for putting the textures onto the model, then another for making the baked texture(s). While the collada exporter will export multiple UV maps, the uploader will only use one of them (I think it's the last one in the dae file). If that's the wrong one, then you get all sorts of texture distortion. So, after you have finished baking and saved the main file, remove all but the correct UV map before exporting. That way the exported map can only ne the one you are applying the texure with in Blender. 

You can have up to eight materials in Blender, each of which becomes a different face in SL, to which you can apply a different (baked) texture. For each material, the UV islands should generally not be overlapping (unless you are using very careful techniques for baking). However, since the baked textures for each material are indepemndently applied, the UV mappings of different materials can overlap. In fact, they should do so, as otherwise you are wasting UV space. That does NOT mean each meterial has a different UV map in Blender. They must all share the same single UV map that will be uploaded, jusy with the UV islands for different materials overlapping.

ETA: Also possible that some normals are inverted?

Why do you not want to upload the texture(s) separately? In my view, there is no advantage in uploading the textures wth the mesh, while there are several disadvantages....

1. Each time you upload a new texture (on the main grid) you have to pay to upload the mesh as well.

2. Each time you upload the mesh with a new texture, you make an new identical mesh asset with a different UUID. That means an extra copy in the asset server and in you inventory. It also means everyone has to download the same mesh asset twice if it appears with both textures in the same scene, contributing to lag.

3. Each time you upload a slightly altered mesh, you have to pay to upload all the textures again. As for the mesh, this means new UUIDs, extra copies on asset server and inventory, and redundant extra dowdloading.

4. If you use general purpose textures (eg a woodgrain, rock, ...) then you have to upload them again with each mesh they are used on. They get a new UUID each time, wasting inventory and asset server space. Since they have different UUIDs, they have to be downloaded separately by all viewers seeing them, completely losing the increase in efficiency otherwise obtained by reusing the textures.

I consider it was a mistake for the uploader to allow uploading textures with the mesh, as it can only lead to waste of resources and increased lag. There is a tiny number of cases where there can be a problem applying a separately uploaded texture to an inaccessible face, but this can always be overcome with a script or other simpler means.

Just wanted to say your little house looks very cute AND I agree that uploading textures separately is IMHO the way to go.

I make ambient maps, save them and then texture the ambients and upload. This has a lot of advantages in that you can easily play and adjust in your graphics program. There are also times when ambients have a need to be photoshopped a bit (mostly smooth uneven surfaces so not applicable to your house) and you can do that on the ambient map and then then add your textures. You can also make the ambient maps BIG to get fine shadows and then resize before uploading.

So you might try that.

Thanks for the explanation, Drongle.
I have now decided to export everything from blender and import it into SL, serperatly. It was a little more work than the textures would have been directly attached to the mesh, but in the long term it will probably be profitable.

Especially when I want to add things.

And Chic Aeon, Thanks you too for the hint, and calling my house cute.

Here the Result:

Snapshot_003.jpg

Snapshot_002.JPG

Snapshot_004.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3476 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.