Substance Painter

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought SP a while back, thinking it would be good to have something to use in painting on a model besides Blender (I have PS too but dont use it).  But I have so much trouble understanding the tutorials, and the reason for it is that ALL of them I have seen teach from part to whole. As a former teacher, I know how essential it is to first introduce WHAT this is and WHY it is useful -- in other words, give an overview of where we are going, before we embark. Then procede to teach teeny baby steps and how to avoid common pitfalls. IOW, from whole to part. 

At this point, I don't have a clear picture of what SP is supposed to do. I just know there are a bazillion different buttons that do a bunch of things I am not real clear on. 

Does anyone use this? Can you tell me the what and why or point me to someone who does?

• 3 weeks later...

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Pamela, you may want to read this post on Substance Painter:

Substance Painter Review - Visual Arts - Articles - Articles - GameDev.net

Thank you so much Indigo -- this is exactly the kind of overview I really need - and I am not the only one, since it is just good pedagogy!. I feel like now I can fit all the little nuts and bolts into the big picture, like doing a jigsaw puzzle:  if you have the picture you know what to do with the pieces.

Glad I could be of help. I own a copy of Painter but I am a total noob at it because I have not had the chance to really get into it. That said, I think that, if mastered, Painter is an exceptional tool.

BTW, I recommend you check the Google+ community regurarly as there are some very skilled users who share their Substance materials for free. Most of them are extremely good.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.