Specular Highlights?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I saw a full perm mesh ad just now mentioning specular highlight textures in the pack along with ambient occlusion. I know that specular was PLANNED but is it happening? If so, does someone have more info on the why and how of making and using the maps. I am in Blender but any info would be welcome. Just feel like I missed a beat somewhere :D. Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks guys and I did find that tutorial last night and bookmarked it. Watched a couple of others too. I can't say I "love" the look of the baked I have seen but sure there are some lovely one if done right. When too bright it really takes away from the textures.

The actual MENTION that I saw was on a full perm mesh object for builders (Marketplace ad). And it did say "specular map" so not a baked on thing which wouldn't be too handy for folks to create with anyway.

SO- perhaps he made the map in a program besides blender and it was for the future. Or perhaps you could stack the specular map and the ambient map and do some interesting things in your graphics program. So I am a bit smarter (ty) but still puzzled over this instance. I did see that "someday" we "may" be able to stack maps but we all know how those someday promises turn out at times :D. 

As Kwakkelde posted, these are baked in specular effects in a fixed position.  They are determined by the lighting set up and the material properties and I believe camera angle.  You can not simply bake specularity in Blender (the rational probably being that specularity is supposed to be "real time" and based on a specularity map that moves as the lighting moves in a game).  The work around for Blender to actually bake spec is to use the Nodes material set up in Blender.  

Check out this tutorial:

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/tutorials/31727-tutorial-baking-specular-blender.html

Be prepared to spend some time experimenting with this and learing how to control lighting, material setting and setting up a "scene"  to get excellent results that don't look artificial, unnatural or  "chalky".  

Edited:  eeep! sorry for spelling your name incorrectly Kwakkelde :(

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3928 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.