Solidify Nightmare

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't had a problem with this for ages, but now it's happening.

Ok, two issues here: first, This is a mesh with layering. Meaning, it's a dress that has one layer of fabric on top of another and I want both layers to move together nicely, in sync. Apperently, that's not happening and not only can't I figure out why, I can't seem to move Avastar into a position that lets me recreate the errors I see in SL.

Secondly, I have a solidify modifier with a 0.001 thickness, which might not be helping either.

Like I said, I can't quite get a position of the bones where I can spot the problem here, so I can't realy try and weight paint it. I've tried a large blur brush with multi-paint and auto-normalise to see if that would help, but no luck.

30d2b83899127b7322ebdc431b252940.pngfa66cafd498422c970be2ae50e5497bf.png

Welcome to the club sister,had a same issue i made dress in Marvelous Designer that contained layers and the best result i had was when i increased the offset between meshes,most desirable thing is not to use multiple layered meshes,Avastar is the best choice we have currently but weights from meshes and bones are horrible better is to make your own body suit already carafully weight painted than to directly using it from Avastar meshes,all i can say good luck and don't give up your day job:matte-motes-big-grin:

Yep, I'll confirm that it is a nightmare.

Whenever possible, you should try and fake the inside of the clothing. It's going to be difficult with that dress, but it will help in some areas. As a creator, that is up to you. Anything using solidify is going to give you a bunch more work to do with weights. Between the legs and in the armpits are the worst areas.

Here is how I make fake insides. I tend to use 2 extrudes now, but this video does show what I'm talking about.

my real problem here is the freakin' ruffles! If I don't solidify, the invisible inside easily peaks through and ruins the effect. As for the back, I can actually just delete the underskirt and have one layer.

But the ruffles!!!!!! T_T   My beautiful ruffles!!!!

Not sure I understood you, Gaia, but when I said "invisible" I ment the side of the mesh that has no texture, therefore becomes invisible holes in SL.

Ok, update: I did some experiments, and the problem is really not with the solidify. It's just with the actual layering of the mesh. and I still have problems with the ruffles. I'm trying to fix this with just weight paiting, but without much luck, since it doesn't want to be painted ito shape. xD

I used the texture mode so you could see the problem better.

bgasyud.png

The dark areas, which I assume are the underlining mesh poking through, are not needed.  Delete the faces of the dark mesh.

Gaia is right.  If an underlining mesh is being covered by other mesh on top of it then there is no need for the underlining mesh to be there so you can just delete those faces of the underlining mesh.

You only need the surface of the mesh that is going to be seen.  Faces of a mesh that are being covered by other faces on top should be deleted.  By deleting faces of a mesh that are not to be seen will help cut down on lag.  It will also make it easier to rig and get to move right and be less expensive to pay to upload.

Very beautiful dress by the way.  Wonderful work! :)

Looking again at the dress, I think you could still delete most of the back sides of the ruffles, and then pull the verts in to simulate the backsides so you don't see wholes thru the back sides. I'd also create more distance between the front and back sides of the ruffles.

The real issue of weighting things when you use solidify, is that it all becomes a mess to try and change the weights. The only way that I know of to even get to all the verts, is to see thru the whole mesh, but that get comfusing quickly as your brain tries to distinguish what vert is on what part of the mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.