Shading issue in rigged mesh, what am I doing wrong?

Jake Koronikov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have encountered following issue, and I just cant figure out what is causing this. There is a rigged mesh pants, no normal map, no specular map. When wearing the pants, the area between the legs (yeah..) get shaded wrong.

There is a photo below. Mid-day sunlight coming from straight up. So the areas facing downward should be shaded dark, but they seems to get very bright. As bright as those faces pointing up towards the lightsource, sun.

pants1.JPG

I am absolutely sure there is no double vertices, and face normals are pointing correctly.

Below is a photo from blender. (there is some bad topology at this point, will be fixed later. But that is not the issue here)

pants4.JPG

The weird thing is, that if I upload this object as static mesh...the shading works normally and downward facing areas are darker - just as they should be.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Coby Foden wrote:

I have noticed the same thing with some rigged mesh clothes. It is if the light somehow "leaks" through or bends around the edge. However I have also noticed that by enabling shadows the light does not do this and everything looks ok.

Interesting, the turning shadows on seems to remove the issue. You are right.

This shading is somehow originating from the rest pose. I noticed that in my case, the pants are so loose-fit style, that in rest pose the legs go "inside" eachother and umh..the connected faces turn upside down. I placed the cam inside the pants in rest pose, like in the photo below. The rest pose shading seems to stay in A-pose too. Weird.pants5.JPG

ETA: So, basically, I think I should re-model this thingie so that there is no inside-out faces in rest-pose. But the technical shading issue is still quite interesting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3521 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.