Scripted Mesh

Bigby McDonnell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there,

I'd like to know if is it possible to script a mesh?

I've seen mesh that are scripted BUT if you remove the prims, they're removed as well.

The thing I wanna know is if you can have a mesh that couldn't be removed from the user's environment by removing prims but it'd have a script....

I don't know if I'm well explained, if not... tell me 

Beforehand, thank you.

Hi,

Prims, sculpty, mesh - it´s all the same. Whatever you can do with a scripted prim a mesh does too.

What do you mean with - the user cannot remove ?

Prims that are belong to me and i cannot remove. Well that sounds like griefing or BDSM ;-)

Anyway mesh behaves exactly like prims, because technically prims are mesh.

Monti

Are you referring to objects that can change shape using a script that loads different sculpt maps or changes the prim types and parameters to force them into different shapes? If so, then it can't be done with mesh, the basic geometry is set by the uploaded mesh file, and only the scale of it can be changed by a script.

No, I'm referring to press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 9 for removing prims in your view.

You know, the fancy thing about mesh is that it doesn't disappear even if you remove the prims from your view but I've seen meshes that disappear doing it and meshes that do not disappear.

Thank you for your reply!

According to the Wiki, that's the shortcut for Advanced->Rendering Types->Volume. It should stop the viewer from rendering of all objects belonging to the C++ class LLVolume. That includes all mesh, sculpties and legacy prims, because they all belong to that class, whether they are attached or not. It doesn't include Linden trees. So it would be interesting to know exactly which objects fail to disappear. What do they have in common, and is it always the same ones?

In my viewer, all mesh disappear, as far as I can see, now and as long as I can remember. It's a viewer setting. So other viewers could be different. Which viewer are you using?

The reason why people use to make use (including myself) of the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Alt + 9 is for removing the prims and having less lag.

The thing I was explaining is that some "mesh" clothes I've bought disappear as if they were a prim too when I use that shortcut. The thing that I don't understand is why some clothes/hair/shoes/etc do not disappear and other meshes do... maybe because they're rigged? or maybe because the ones that are supposed to be mesh, are not mesh?

So my main point/question was if there's a way a mesh can be scripted but also worn and do not disappear if anyone uses the shortcut (Ctrl + Shift + Alt 9)

Thank you for your replies so far!

I'm not aware of any LSL function which would be able to do that. I have also no idea how such a function would be of any value. When I hit these shortcuts, I want them to do what they are intended for, and not having some stuff left, because someone decided to put a nasty script in there, to avoid that. The only thing I can imagine to use such functionality is for griefing purposes only. :matte-motes-tongue:

it is hard to tell what you are seeing without being there to see what the avatars are wearing, but yes you are probably seeing a difference between rigged and not rigged.

one quick way to tell if an item is really mesh or not, is to edit or select it for inspect. mesh objects have sharp selection outlines, everything else has a softer fuzzy outline.

Thank you for your reply.

I wasn't trying to do a script for griefing or remove prims or anything like that.

The shortcut I'm referring is a TOOL of the VIEWERS that you are able to use when your ADVANCED tab is active in your viewer. This shortcut AKA tool, lets you remove from the scene/view ALL the prims but YOU only see this change, it doesn't affect anyone but you. It helps when you're in a laggy sim and you want prims out your view so your computer do not waste resources in drawing them.

When there was no mesh and you'd use this shortcut, you would see everyone without hair, all bald, no buildings, simply no prims.

After mesh was available in SL... even if you use this shortcut, if  people are using mesh hair, mesh clothes, they are still shown.

However there are "scripted mesh" that actually disappear with this function/shortcut/tool .... so I was wondering if it happens with all scripted mesh because I know that some hair or clothes have HUDs and they can change the color or texture of a part of the mesh and they do not disappear using this function.

Cheers!

I'm using Firestorm.... but the thing is that I use that shortcut and for example... Mesh hair, Mesh clothes do not disappear. 

There are some mesh things over the marketplace, and they claim their product as mesh and they're scripted and I've bought some things that are supposed to be mesh and when I use this shortcut, they disappear like a common prim. 

So, maybe they're not mesh as they're supposed to be?

Is it because they are scripted?

Is it because they're not rigged? (although I've some mesh hair that are not rigged and are shown even if I use this function)

Cheers!

So it's nothing about the mesh being scripted?

They disappear if they're attached to the body instead of worn?

Because I've rigged clothes & hair and non-rigged ones, and they are shown even if I use that function.

Then the ones that I've bought in marketplace that claim to be mesh are probably not mesh?

Cheers!

It seems that what we would expect is the following...

Attaching and wearing are (as far as I know) he same thing. Attached mesh can be either rigged or non-rigged. If they are rigged, then they will always appear in the same place whatever attachment point you attach/wear them on. You can test objects by attaching to different places to check whether they are rigged or not. Only mesh can be rigged. So if this test shows the object is rigged, then it must be mesh.

However, not all mesh are rigged. If they are not rigged, they will appear in different places when you attach them to different points. That is the same as all other prims and sculpties. So that behaviour doesn't distinguish mesh and non-mesh.

All non-rigged objects, mesh or not, should disappear when you use your shortcut. All rigged mesh should remain visible. So if you test for rigging by attaching at different points, then you will be able to see whether it is only rigged mesh that don't disappear.

Scripts should have no effect on whether the shortcut makes attached objects disappear or not.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

It seems that what we would expect is the following...

Attaching and wearing are (as far as I know) he same thing.

When you use "attach to" that sets the default position for everytime you "wear" (or add) an object.  "Attach to" always presents a sub menu you need to choose from.

attach.JPG

ETA, anytime you wear or add an object that the default has not been changed, the default position will be the right hand.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3385 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.