SL does not reconize mesh model

ActionJoe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I  use Sketchup 2014 to make buildings. About 2or 3 weeks ago I starting getting a message that there was no mesh in what I was uploading.I have not figured out why I have  up loaded my models before and now it it is telling me ther is no mesh.  That is what Sketchup use's is a mesh. Could someone help.

Thanks

It's been long time since I made my experiments with sketchup.

Download another free softweare and start seeing if it could be some dae exporter iussue.

For instance ge blender import your dae in blender then use its exporter ( that for sure works) to see if then your mesh is recognized by SL.

If it keeps failing analize its structure in a wireframe mode in blender or any other software see if there are polygons sharing more than 2 edges or if there are degenerated unwanted useless vertices that you might cleanup from blender in edit mode, mesh menu -> clean up -> delete lose

Probably its not your case but also know that if you're trying to upload in SL one of those models made with sketchup available on google ,they're not optimized for SL and you'd need a lot of cleanup and remodeling work to make them good to go.Those models could give bad errors if you try to upload.

The Sketchup exporter is really poor, fyi (at least as of 8, I can't use the newer versions for license reasons). Any time I export something from Sketchup, I take it into Blender first; doing a 'Remove Doubles' on it tends to cut the size at least in half. Although sometimes Blender can't read it correctly either, and I end up using Mesh Lab as an in-between just to resave the file so it can be read.

Even if you don't modify the file at all, checking it in Blender will show you if the file contains what you think it does. Perhaps only part or none of the model was being exported.

I know that when I was over at Cloud Party, the devs had to make adjustments so that their uploader would work with Sketchup so it doesn't work exactly like other mesh programs. Is it the beta grid or the regular grid where you are getting messages?  If you are using the Linden viewer, had this work before using the Linden viewer :D and can reproduce it and save your log files (whew) you can put in a jira ticket and perhaps get it fixed.

You might also want to check the FILE somewhere else also to make sure it is not "you". I know that Sketchup files upload in Inworldz (historically - I have never used it) so you could, if you are interested, make and account and upload (free) on one of the sandboxes. If it works there then that might be a start in knowing that it isn't YOU :D.

Good luck.

Scooter Hollow wrote:

The Sketchup exporter is really poor, fyi (at least as of 8, I can't use the newer versions for license reasons). Any time I export something from Sketchup, I take it into Blender first; doing a 'Remove Doubles' on it tends to cut the size at least in half. Although sometimes Blender can't read it correctly either, and I end up using Mesh Lab as an in-between just to resave the file so it can be read.

Even if you don't modify the file at all, checking it in Blender will show you if the file contains what you think it does. Perhaps only part or none of the model was being exported.

What a treasure trove of potential SL mesh Sketchup is!  :matte-motes-bored:

ActionJoe wrote:

Hi I  use Sketchup 2014 to make buildings.

Just for information:

Please read the following post what one modelling expert has to say about Sketchup models.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Use-Sketchup-DAE-for-mesh-model/m-p/1938789#M19987

Basically it is - do not use Sketchup models in SL.

Sketchup is nice easy to learn software for example to model real life house floorplans and furniture. Easy and fast way to check out different kinds of furniture placements - before actually starting physically moving the furniture around in the house. :smileyhappy:

But to use the models in SL - it's a no, due to the innefficient messy mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.