Rigging fitted mesh pants in 3ds max

NicholasCharon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I finally finished my first item, wich was a pair of boots.

Now the fun part began making pants! When I export my shape with phoenix 1185 the morphs seem to apply to the saved obj file. But not the displacement of bones, for example if you put hip width to 100 and export obj. The hips will export in their default position =/

This is really frustrating because I need accurate morphs to be able to see if my pants deform properly.

Does anyone know why it does not export the accurate shape? Or maybe some way to fix the saved obj's so they match up with what you see in SL?

I even attempted to make a java script that rewrites the obj into its accurate state, but then I realised duh, if the obj have the wrong vertex positioning to begin with, and there is no way to find out what it is. A script is pretty useless.

While I wait and see if anybody got an answer im gonna attempt to measure vertex distance in second life and see if the error is a percentage all across the mesh in wich case a script could auto rewrite the objs. This wont be an exact science tho

EDIT: Well the java c ode works to some extent but now I'm even more curious how people have managed to rig fitted mesh pants up untill now.

EDIT2: Scrapped the code the maths were getting way to difficult. When you export your shape as an obj, it doesnt export with heights, widths etc, only with the correct morphs. Wich means the obj you get do not look like what you see in SL.

In the xml it shows the max values of all the bones with all the different sliders, for example hip width, when its maxed out 3 bones have been altered. mHip left and right, and mPelvis I belive. If I save out an obj of lower body with hip width set to 100, and one with hip width set as default, and time it with animating the bones according to the xml. They should be rigged properly, as in whatever mesh you are rigging following the bones deformation shud be exactly how it deforms in SL as you use your hip slider.

However that doesnt seem to work either.

What I need to figure out, is when you save out your obj with phoenix. Wich information is lost? Take hips for example. Is it the repositioning of the mHip bones? And what is the amount the hip bones have been moved?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.