Rigged Mesh more problems

ISaysSorry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know if SL changed anything in the latest viewer for rigged mesh avatars that involve the joint offsets and skin weights options? I thought I had this down by now but no of course always a problem. I use to upload my rigged avatars with just skin weights. Then I'd rig a cube in my editor to the skeleton upload that with skin weights and joint offsets. Since I thought mesh was suppose to only have one set of offsets. So I'd take that cube and link it to a second life cube I make in world. The SL Cube becomes the parent and my editor cube that is rigged is a child of it. Then I'd take my rigged avatar and make it a child of the cube set I made. This USE to fix my problems with avatar breaking/deformed when I detach a mesh part and also I use to get a weird blinking in out of my avatar that this also fixed using the editor cube with offsets. So I'm not getting the blinking but the detachment bull**bleep** again is really pissing me off. If I detach a mesh piece the avatar breaks. So back to beta grid I went and now I'm uploading all my parts again with joint offsets checked instead of it being unchecked. I wear all parts with joint offsets, and skin weights checked on all uploads. An it seems to be working the avatar isn't breaking and I don't see the off an on or blinking when I zoom in an out of my avatar. But I have to finish uploading all this and put ALL textures back on the avatar before I can be sure. Otherwise I might still get this other issue which is texture thrashing. I'm not good with finding any latest fixes on mesh. I tried searching so if anyone knows if they changed anything I'd appreciate. This virtual world really **bleep**ing pisses me off.

Yeah there were some changes there recently (December).

See the release notes on http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.23.297296

The changes affecting joint rigged mesh are down at the bottom.

Your method seems unusual & I can well imagine those viewer changes may have broken your workaround.

If you think it is a bug on the later versions of the viewer, you should file a JIRA issue at https://jira.secondlife.com/

• Like 2

I can understand your frustrations ISays. I'm also having this problem and have a very similar workaround. I use the cubes to fix my issues and eh. Broken avatars lol. Did you ever find the problem? 

Also Whirly would you be interested in looking at one of mine? I am not sure how to resolve it besides maybe reuploaded it with joint offsets checked on the mesh. I am using Maya to export my avatars to fbx then convert it to a dae file. When removing rigged meshes with the cube fix it breaks the avatar instead of keeping it together. I also used this fix to keep the avatar from doing an odd jumping issue that Utilizator use to get as well. That doesn't seem to be there anymore though as long as you upload your character with joint offsets and skin weights both checked. I use to do it the other way around where only a cube binded to my Maya skeleton would receive the two options joint offsets and skin weights.  

• MAINT-4606 [LION] Avatar shape is deformed after removing some rigged meshes. Deformation is only seen by users on the Lion viewer, not default release.

I see this on default release when using the cube method. Again though if you take away the cube fix I created and uploaded with skin weights and joint offsets it doesn't break the avatar when removing the mesh clothing etc. It does seem however kind rough when removing the mesh clothing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys. Yes that does help Jack, thanks for the tip about joint offsets. Unforunately I have another problem texture thrashing. An since the cube trick we both use don't work no more this is the issue that I can't get passed now. Only if I make 512 texture does this help. But my textures 1k and look like **bleep** at 512. Oh well I tried.....

No Whirly I have nothing on market. But thanks for response....I never sell since I can't get passed my problems. I had it fixed at least like Jack did with cubes. Now that work around is dead and I go back to scratching my head....Honestly they should go back to letting us use the cube to fix texture thrashing, avatar jumping/blinking when zooming in an out and detachment break bug that causes avatar to deform when something like mesh clothing is removed. At least THAT was so doable.

Do you use Maya 2011 ISaysSorry? I use this as my editor and wondering if building a cutom rig I made for Maya and exporting out of Maya as fbx then convert with fbx to dae with converter if that work flow causes these problems. I see other creators using 3DS Max. Not sure if they have same issues or not..... My main reason for Maya is to build some custom joints and make extra deformers that I get to work. Creating a seamless face....this won't solve your problems in order to build animations off those extra deformers but well....that's not the topic for this post anyway. So to clarify maybe 3DS max has a stable fbx exporter that works better with SL. An I don't know if my custom bind pose is an issue I don't build my avatars in a T-Pose arms are about 45 degree angle I think. Just another possible reason maybe my uploads needed a workaround to create a stable avatar....

JackRipper666 wrote:

Also Whirly would you be interested in looking at one of mine?

Sure!

Throw me a repro mesh inworld or give me a marketplace link for one.

It does sound like this workaround you guys have been using may have broken with the recent joint rigged mesh fixes.

I'd never heard of this workaround before but by the sound of it, quiite a few creators are using it.

I'd hope that the recent fixes in the viewer should make this workaround unneeded now but content breakage is never a good thing & it's worth getting a JIRA issue filed if the problem does turn out to be the recent viewer fixes.

I suspect LL may not fix it as such, because the workaround should be no longer needed but it's good to get the behaviour documented on a JIRA issue.

Today there was an update to SL Viewer. I need to do some further testing but so far as I jump around to my usual problem area's Texture Thrashing seems to have been resolved. Now avatars with no Joint Offset option checked upon upload will still break when removing mesh clothing, hair etc. But if you zoom in an out all of a sudden avatar pops back to it's original shape....I'll have to confirm with a few friends to see if they see the same or if I stay broken.....either way nice job SL I see you're possibly paying attention to the reports.

Okay, JIRA issue filed.

BUG-8616 - Rigged mesh avatars created using the "cube trick" deform when detaching any rigged mesh attachments - only reproduces on post attachment-fix viewers.

If one of you can leave a comment on that issue explaining exactly what the cube trick is and why you use it, that would be great.

Jack tried to explain it to me but I'm a noob at mesh creation & custom joint rigging makes my brain implode. You'll explain it better then me :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3346 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.