Resellling from kit

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I bought a pair of boots from a kit, then RETEXTURED it (ie not a simple recolor from color tab obviously) in Photoshop. I admit it's not a fancy retexture, but since the kit does not offer a white color, I provided a white texture. 95% of the mesh stuff on marketplace are like this, simple retextures. Yet some complete @#%@# flagged my product then filed a complaint to LL that I was "reselling a kit item without ANY changes", the reason is I gave a 1-star review to one of her products. Should I unlist the product, or even care about the complaint? Technically I see absolutely no reason why I can't sell this, but then again I can't really feel safe in case LL is color blind and decide that my product is the exact same color as the kit.

It is impossible to say without knowing the specific terms of the license you received and seeing the texture you made for the boots..

I bought a boot kit too, but don't  know if it was the same one.  The license for mine says that you can't use the textures that came with it if you plan on selling it.  You are not even supposed to take the texture into photoshop and modify it in some way.  You are required to come up with a completely new texture.  If this is the kit you bought and your texture wasn't newly created and different from the ones that came with the kit, you may have been in violation. 

I got out of designing before Mesh hit the streets -- but you might want to reconsider the Mod perms on your boots. this is the reason people are adding differnt sizes in their packages. You're doing nothing wrong - FP kits were designed to aid the merchant who does not have that particular skillset(3d modeling or other) I suspect that the two reviews may have been from the same person consdiering the language barrier in the posts and subsequent date of posting.

Thanks for the replies. I'll remove the boots, since I think what Amethyst said is correct. Honestly I didn't know you can't even use the texture it came with, that's pretty limiting for a kit item, and I guess justifies for Meli's low prices? Though it's not like it's preventing tons of people from doing it anyways.I'm not really a serious designer and don't spend all my time designing, thus I don't create lots and none of them are really high quality, just trying to make a few bucks to cover shopping needs. It's kind of funny how many products I see on marketplace are simple recolors like mine, yet no one complains about them? I mean I've seen products where absolutely no changes were made from Meli's kit sold for maybe hundreds of L, yet here I am being taken that seriously for making "not enough changes" to the texture and even spent the time to write a LL complaint, for a product that's only 50L, lol. Which one would consumers like better? The merchant who knows that the product is not worth much to start with and thus prices it very low, or the merchant who tries to sell a kit item for a high price and hopes the customer doesn't notice it's from a kit? I think it should be made a rule that kit items be required to put a link to the kit on the description page, so the customer can compare original vs modified.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.