Question on normal maps

Milla Michinaga

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Are the effects of normal maps only visible in Second Life with Advanced Lighting? Or can you have your graphics settings at Medium or High and still see the effects?

I've been gone for a while and I'm only now starting to get exicted about the possiblities of normal maps, but if you can only see that on Ultra settings in SL it kind of puts a damper on things.

Thanks, Milla

You can enable Advacned lighting without moving up anything else, but yes.
In an optimized area its not too bad, but usually theres 1024 maps spammed everywhere with 1024 normal and spec maps so that just makes your computer go "UUUUGGGHHHHH"

I was afraid of this. This means you'd have to make two versions of an item of clothing, one super pretty for the Advanced Light crowd and one with all the old restrictions for the rest. Oh noooo. Maybe I'll wait for the new virtual world they're builiding :matte-motes-big-grin:

Milla Michinaga wrote:

Are the effects of normal maps only visible in Second Life with Advanced Lighting? Or can you have your graphics settings at Medium or High and still see the effects?

I've been gone for a while and I'm only now starting to get exicted about the possiblities of normal maps, but if you can only see that on Ultra settings in SL it kind of puts a damper on things.

Thanks, Milla

No need for Ultra settings to be able to enable ALM. This screen shot is from Firestorm (version 4.6.5):

Firestorm-enable-ALM.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.