Question for Creators about The Process...

Cilene Inglewood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm slowly learning the basics of Blender - mostly how to DO things...but not quite to the point where I'm actually building anything. But, when I get to that point - I'm curious about the creative process. It seems like you need to have an idea of what you want to make...how do the creators here start that process? Do you sketch out the idea and figure out which prims you'll need to use? Do you have a prim/shape you always start out with? Just wondering how all of YOU get started...how you plan so that you make the most of your time in Blender.

Thanks x

Everyone is different, but for just about every thing you'd make, you would use some reference material, whether those be images or drawings. I'd set up those image onto planes in my background, and then start modeling from the center, generally with the cube. Why the cube? Well, it really depends on what you are making and what platform it is for, but starting with a cube means that you will be modeling with QUADs and not triangles. This kind of modeling can be much more efficient, and if you need triangles, you can use them.

When it comes to game modeling, you are always thinking of how you can create the object with as little geometry as possible. You are thinking about what you want as actual geometry, and what geometry you can fake using things like bump maps. As far as modeling goes, once you get good at it, you can almost model almost any game model is a hour or so. Texturing is really where the major time is consumed, at least for me. Again tho, it depend on the model, the creator, and what they specialize in.

• Like 1

Another things I'll add, especially since you are a Blender user, is to learn the shortcut keys, or at least the ones you use all the time. I'm very much not into using shortcut keys, but in Blender, it is a must if you want to work quickly. In my tutorial videos, I try to show where the things are in the UI, but when I'm just creating, I'm using as many shortcuts as I can. Once you learn them, it's almost like modeling a block of clay with your hands. Sometimes, I just like to watch people speed model, just cause it is so awesome to watch.

I'll also point out that speed is extremely important. Some of this I learned from traditional art. I actually would do charcoal drawings of people on a regular basis, just because when you are under that kind of pressure to do it quickly, you have less time to second guess yourself. Plus, when you get that speed up, it's actually more expressive, because you are doing as you are thinking, and not 3 steps behind. Even today tho, sometime, I'll look at a project and think, I'm gonna try and model this in a half hour. You are alway your worst enemy, and you can waste days 2nd guessing yourself. JUST DO IT!

• Like 1

I actually have a list of shortcuts and am learning them - I'm thining of putting them on a board to make it easier...so I don't have to keep looking at my notes. But - I am getting the hang of them. I DO watch a lot of speed creations - whether or not they have anything to do with SL. I'm DEFINITELY my worst enemy...it's my "thing" to over learn something so much by writing notes, watching tutorials...but never actually COMPLETE anything. I get scared - not sure why. I know I could be really good at this - because there are so many things that I want personally in SL but no one creates...and that's a good thing! That alone should push me...but I DO get scared. What a silly thing!!

Step 1: Create a cube.

Step 2: Sacrifice cube to the polygods.

Step 3: Create another cube.

Step 4: Profit!

Sorry, serious now... ;)

Gather reference imagery is my first step. I have folders and folders of reference saved, and I am continuously adding to it. It's part of my system backup, too - that's how valuable it is.

I often find the process of gathering imagery to be inspiring in itself. Make notes and sketches, plan out as much as possible. This is tricky sometimes, as when you're learning you don't always know what you need to plan for. If I'm working smart (and I don't always, sometimes I dive right in) I'll plan out my UVs and by extension of that, what shapes I'm going to need to start with. If I'm building a column or pillar, say, I know I can start with a cylinder and unwrap its UVs, then begin adding detail.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.