Physics varies with avatar?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I released my newest house and discovered that while some (including my assistant and me) could walk up the stairs fine, others could not.  I thought it was the ivy, which was prim, so I set it to none, but that made no difference. The staircase is set to None, with a regular prim ramp and bannister as physics shapes.

Screenshot 2013-10-20 18.45.05.png

Then I realized the 2nd floor was set Convex Hull, so I changed that to None (since I already had a separate physics shape in place, and that fixed the problem. However, what I wonder is why some avis were blocked and others were not. Hmmmmmmmmmm?

Hi :)

There is an obvious reason (yes ,obvious if you had been paying attention to previous threads) why you and your Assistant were able to walk up the stairs to the first floor as if every thing was as it should be.  Someone,  I don't  know which one of the two of you it was ,  so I just say "someone", "someone" first rezzed the second floor mesh on top of themselves or another avatar !  This causes the mesh to act as if it were set to Physics shape None (Phantom) even if in the edit panel it says its ConvexHull or Prim.

Which means you had access to the second floor. Normally the opening where the stairs join that level would be closed if it were really Convex Hull.

The reason why a third person was blocked while you weren't is ..... well I don't know why but have already mentioned this happening in a previous thread  : http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/3D-max-triangulated-Physics-shape-problem/m-p/1760619#M18181 message 3,  and I quote

"One strange thing to add, one time when the non Analysed  7 LI house was rezzed and I thought the physics was borked again , ie I was able to walk through the walls someone else at the same time found that for him the physics were acting as they should be ! "

We need someone like Drongle to explain this. I'm wondering if, like textures , the physics shapes are loaded  a new for each avatar so if someone logs in after the borked mesh had been rezzed then the Physics shape, convex hull, may be correct for them and they would have been blocked about halfway up the stairs?

I am always so glad when I see that you have answered one of my questions, Aquila.  And you must be a true prodigy to remember threads like that.  I stand in amazement.  

No I did not rez the house on top of anyone (I do get at least one call a week from someone who has rezzed their house on top of themselves).  It is not just me who could walk up the stairs -- I watched a parade of people go up and down the stairs.  

What I am thinking now is that with Convex Hull you get phantom"holes" where no triangles are.  Maybe if you are a taller avi your head hits a blocked part and if you are shorter your head misses it.  I will experiment to see and report back. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.