Permissions

Starla Baxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so I have been out of SL for awhile and am trying to get caught up.

Not sure if this is the right area to post this but...

What I need to know is if there is a solution for this problem ->

When you have lets say a Cupcake Mesh, and you want to use it to make a plate of cupcakes, and you want people to be able to click it, and GET a cupcake to eat. NOW...to do that, you have always had to make the cupcake inside Copy/Transfer. However...if you are using a MESH....that is like giving away a mesh for free which is usually against most creators TOS.

Being that creators are all leaning towards Meshes now, is there a way to GIVE unlimited "mesh" cupcakes, coffee's, or whatever...to people when an item is clicked...WITHOUT having to make the mesh copy/transfer yet? Does that make sense? How do people work around this?

Thanks =)

There are at least two ways to approach this. First, you can give away mesh objects as easily as you give away prim objects. The permissions work the same way.  You may be thinking of a creator's common warning that you are not allowed to distribute their full perm mesh objects "as is".  For example, if you buy a full perm mesh table, you are free to add your own textures and colors, and you can glue geegaws to it, but you can't sell it or give it away unmodified -- and almost all creators forbid you to distribute it as full perm in any case.  So long as you stay within those rules, you're fine.

The other way to approach your particular kind of object is not to give it away at all.  If your cupcake is meant to be eaten, build it with a script that uses llAttatchToAvatarTemp.  The user will click on your plate to get temporary ownership of a cupcake, which attaches to the user but does NOT appear in the user's inventory.  When it's detached, the cupcake vanishes, leaving nothing behind.  If you write the script properly, the user cannot get a permanent copy, and can't yank the script or animation out of the one he's wearing.  This is a great way to handle demo copies of clothing, hair, etc. and to deal with food and drink items that should have a lifetime of seconds or minutes. 

The situation is the same as it has always been -- sculpt makers did not want anyone giving copy trans copies of their things either.  What I have always done is to make my own version of something that would be given copy-trans -- like make a simple prim shrimp I made, instead of giving the sculpted display one.  No one has every complained that the item they received was not the same as the one displayed.

Thanks so much for your responses. The AttatchToAvatarTemp script sounds perfect! At the risk of being annoying, any chance you know where someone can buy a full perm copy of such a script? Because I frankly could not script my way out of a wet paper bag, lol . This would ideally solve any and all  possible issues though so thank you for the info.

llAttAchToAvatarTemp is an LSL function.  You'd have to ask a scripter to write a script for your particular application with it, although you could take a look at a couple of the examples in the wiki at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlAttachToAvatarTemp#Examples . If those don't work for you, post in the InWorld Employment forum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.