jjccc Coronet

Ok you listening out there i want savable presets

Ok this year i must have downloaded every single viewer out there and spend most of my time setting it up how i like it every time. If theres a glitch it defaults back to normal so i have to go through all the menus again to set presets up again its getting to be tiresome.

This is what i want, once i have gone and set up all my menu's how i like it, i want to be able to save them in the same way i can save the derender black list in the phoeonix viewer, this way when a new viered turns up i can load all my exist set up at a clk of a button, now i no that i can all ready do this by going into the appdata\roming\secondlife folder route and save things that way but i dont want that i want it in the viewer, so can you make it happen! thanks bye...   

I Love Art
Kudos: 419
0 Kudos

Re: Ok you listening out there i want savable presets

Reply to jjccc Coronet - view message

Feature requests are best placed in the JIRA. If you have never read the instructions on filing feature requests and you would really like the feature added, read up and look for examples. If you are asking for a change in the Phoenix/Firestorm viewer use the Phoeinx/Forestorm JIRA. If you are just venting and not expecting results, this is the place.

Most viewers save settings from version to version. Kirsten's does, The SL Viewer Development version certainly does. The Mesh Project viewer does. Imprudence does.

My rarely used standard SL Viewer retains settings as I install various Developement and Project viewers. It has been some time since I installed a new version, but it seems it retains setting, if I remember correctly.

If you are doing an uninstall and wiping folders before installing a new version, that is the problem. Unless you are having problems, make your new installs over the top of the old viewer.

If you use multiple viewers, you will run into various problems as different viewers tug and pull on your system. Read my blog for information on the different Third Party Viewers (TPV) and how they interact. This would be a good one to start with: Second Life Clean Install If you are taking some of the steps given for a clean install, that is why your settings are disappearing.

Luc Starsider
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think setting presets is a great idea! In fact, I was wondering about this a couple of weeks ago, but for a different reason; Initially, I thought of savable graphics settings that could be selected from a menu in the viewer. Imagine you're in a laggy place like a fair or expo or whatever, so you set your graphics settings to minimum just to be able to move around. You spot something that would be a great picture, but you want to take the photo at the high graphics setting, maybe with a different windlight setting. Wouldn't it be great if you could save these settings and be able to swap between them quickly and easily?

Extend this to include all settings (windlight, graphics settings, menu choices, debug settings not found elsewhere) and we have your idea. Save everything in xml (or similar) files locally that can be backed up, and you're all set.

If you file a jira for this, post the link in this thread, and I will surely add my comments to it and watch it. (I would vote for it too even if votes are not used anymore... :smileyhappy:)

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
jjccc Coronet
0 Kudos

ok jira sent 

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/CTS-582

vote on it lets make it happen

I Love Art
Luc Starsider
0 Kudos

Watched and voted!

It's late now, but I'll add some comments tomorrow.

- Luc -

Need a laugh? Watch this.
Opensource Obscure
0 Kudos

How I run newly installed viewers with my customized settings

Here's what I do.

• configure viewer and interface to my will
  • close the viewer and check out the new, saved settings.xml file in my user_settings folder
  • use settings.xml to write a single, long line which includes all my customized choices. Those are written according to this syntax: --set <parameter> <value>
  • run any fresh viewer install by using that list of login parameters (exact syntax will depend on your operating system)

Visit me at LOL region. Join Second Life Viewer 2 in-world group for news and help.
Leave a message on my Profile feed.
Leggi Il mio blog dedicato a Second Life.