Need help with uploading Mesh

Jaxon Madrigal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone. I really need help with uploading mesh clothing to SL.
I'm quite new to 3D. I sculpted this shirt in ZBrush (I know it's not all that great (x ).
I sent it for rigging to Maya via GoZ and I finally got it to work after a lot of trial and error.
My problem is that when I upload the actual mesh into SL, it completely loses all detail and all texture. Is there any way I can fix this?
Here's what it looks like in ZBrush:

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.13.54 PM.png

Here's what it looks like in Maya after I send it over with GoZ:

Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 10.14.25 PM.png

And here's what it looks like when I upload it to SL

Ugly shirt_001.jpg

Not sure if you can really see but there's no wrinkles, no detail. Nothing. It's just the Mesh with a plain texture on it. Anyone know how to fix this? When I uploaded the Mesh itself, it was uploaded as all white and then I just took the texture Map from ZBrush and added it to the Mesh. I would have thought that it would add some detail but sadly, I got nothing :(.

All help is appreciated and thank you so much in advance!

Jaxon Madrigal wrote:

My problem is that when I upload the actual mesh into SL, it completely loses all detail and all texture. Is there any way I can fix this?

Hi Jaxon. Don't worry it's alright.

What you're missing there are the wrinkles done with normal maps

Most of the times the best way to upload your modesl in secondlife is to upload the  textures ( diffuse,  normal and specular) a part from it.So what you have to do now is:

a)first option a from maya you save the diffuse normal map ( eventually specular if you did one but for a shirt I doubt you would do it)

b)  second option right from zbrush save them on pc then upload in secondlife

Anyway good choice with zbrush it has an infinite power that would enhance and pull out the monster built in your maya a part that you could make very complex structures and low weights in shortest time. Happy Zbrushing.

• Like 1

Hi Jaxon!
As Astrid said, one way is to upload your normal maps to SL. You may know that you can get those in ZBrush using the Multimap exporter (normal, Displacement, diffuse, etc.). I only use the GoZ to edit the topology, UVMaps, etc. in 3Ds Max. When I have finished in ZBrush, I export all using MMExporter, even the .OBJ file.

Once you have all exported from ZBrush, the other way, is to bake all the textures (diffuse+normal bump+displacement map) in maya and upload it baked to SL.

In SL, the mesh without bump textures will look as your example: Plain with no details. With the baked texture, you know, you can "simulate" all those wrinkles, lights, shadows.

Edit: Added image:

From left to right:
1) Mesh without any texture
2) Mesh with baked texture (Baked in 3DS Max. No bump or specular maps added in SL)
3) Only Normal Map applied in SL.
4) Diffuse map + Normal Map + some Low default Shininess added (so you can see the bumpiness :P)

2014-04-18_203513.png

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.