My prim physics does not have a hole

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have made meshes with holes and set them as prim, so the prim was solid but the hole was not.

Now I find I have a mesh prim with a hole in the center, set to prim, but the hole is "plugged", as if it was convex hull.  My avi can stand on the hole; when the prim is changed to None, she falls through.  

Anyone know what could cause this change in physics behavior?

It all depends exactly how you made the physics shape. It might be easier to say if we had a picture of the physics shape (Develop->Render Metadata->Pjysics Shapes). Did you xhexk that it had a hole when you made the physics shape in the uploader? Did you use a LOD mesh or a dedicated physics mesh? Was the hole big enough?

And it's really a hole, with no face filling it?  I put a cylindrical hole in something once and by mistake only removed the face at one end of the hole (I was using backface culling so I didn't see the other face from the back side).  It did the same thing that your hole is doing.

Got a Sing dev to tell me where it was in Advanced.  So, no hole.  What physics upload should I use -- I remain pretty confused by the stuff like Simplify so I ignore them.    I thought I just used the High LOD as physics but but maybe I did not, since that is not what I got.

Screenshot 2014-07-15 14.20.37.png

I once made a 50x50 deck with a hole for a pool, and had the same outcome.  Mesh was optimized, no hidden faces, but once rezzed and set to prim....you flattened your face while diving. The solution turned out to be the thickness of the deck which I had initially set to .25m ...on a smaller pool deck this was fine, but on a 50x50 it wouldn't work until I increased the thickness to .5m. Depending on the size of your build, could this be a possible scenario?

Yes. I think you have the right answer. I was forgatting that one. There is a minimum thickness (used to be 0.01m) below which the physics engine will switch to convex hull even if you set it to prim type. So the wall,floor, whatever, has to be at least that thick. Looks like that's the cause here, as the picture shows the default convex hull.

Thanks Casper I will check that out.

I reimported the mesh with the High LOD as physics shape. 

Set it to prim, worked fine, then copied Rotation, Location, & Position of the mesh in the house already and pasted it into the new one. 

And here is what I found (eventually, it took me several tries to nail it down):  When I pasted the size, the hole closed. So going to experiment with size, per Casper's suggestion. 

Screenshot 2014-07-15 15.34.16.png

I had it set to .02 because otherwise it will not lay flat on the regular prim beneath it ( I have another thread about rotations not being precise over in the building forum).  When I set it to .5 it was fixed!

Now, it evidently did switch to CH but when I looked at it, it still retained the correct shape. So, weird. 

Many thanks for those who helped!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.