Mesh studio for clothing or hair?

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just ran across something called Mesh Studio by black box which is supposedly an inworld creation tool. the thing Im interested in is creating clothing and hair. does anyone know of any tutorials related to this tool for clothing and hair? I found some for things like furniture but obviously the issues of making a chair is quite different than that of hair or clothing for the avatar. Before I shell out moola for this baby I have to see if it can do what I need. Just so we are on same page Im talking about this tool https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Mesh-Studio/2993083?

I am not 100 percent sure (and someone WILL know but perhaps not on the MESH board :D) but I believe this is one of the programs that came out when mesh was very new that let you take prims and make them into a dae file. The info in the description seems to suggest that.

We can argue that this is "not really mesh" or "not really the best quality" of mesh but it really doesn't matter. I use it sometimes on opensim when I am porting. It works and for many purposes it is fine.

The IMPORTANT thing for you to know is that most of this (not sure what the more than 8 prim faces script thing was talking about) is NOW in third party viewers. Right click, save as, collada in Firestorm. It is also in Singularity and no doubt others.

I don't see -- if I am reading this correctly - how it would help you much with MESH hair or clothes as it is basically a converter to save land impact, not a mesh making software like Blender Maya etc.

Hope that helps some and hope someone can come along and verify this or tell me I am completely wrong (that happens fairly often :D).

Mesh Studio is a good program.  It definitely has its usages.  It basically converts prim builds into mesh and can do a very nice job.

Theoretically you could create prim hair inside SL and then using Mesh Studio export it out of SL as a mesh and then bring that mesh into a program say like Blender or Maya and rig it.

I don't know why anyone would want to do it that way but it be possible.

Singularity viewer has basically the same abilities to convert prims to mesh built in.  You just right mouse click on the prim and click "More" and then "More" again and then "Export".  You can export your prims as a DAE or OBJ file if you want it converted to mesh.  If you export an OBJ you don't get any of the textures.  If you export as a DAE you do get the textures and any faces that are set to 100% alpha are automatically deleted from the mesh.  Mesh Studio does the same thing with 100% alpha faces.

Hope that helps. :)
Cathy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3459 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.