Mesh creators: for your experience...

Paulyta Miles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Even with your bad experience with Maya, it' still asking something like: "What's the best flavor for pudding? Vanilla, chocolate or strawberry?" Everyone will suggest a different solution. I would go with Blender, but that's because I have no experience with other 3D software. Most people using Blender will reccommend it. It's biggest advantage: it's free. Most people using other 3D programs hate Blender. My colleage swears by ZBrush.

The best program is whatever program you know how to use.  If Maya is what you're familiar with, and what you like, then use Maya.  If you happen to prefer using something else, like Blender, or Max, or Lightwave, or what have you, then use that.

I'm a Maya user, myself.  It's what I was trained on when I began my digital arts career years ago, and it's what I've been using every day since.  I've dabbled with lots of others, but to me, Maya's just what feels right.  It serves me very, very well.

Here's what I'd suggest.  Rather than right away blaming the software for whatever errors you've been getting, and expecting some other program to magically solve the problem, how about you tell us what the errors are, so we can tell you how to solve them.  Lots and lots and lots of people use Maya with SL, myself included.  Whatever problem you're having, I'm sure we can help you solve it.

If you think about it logically for a moment, there are only two possibilities.  Either there's something wrong with the way you're constructing your models, or there's something wrong with how you've got things configured in Maya.  If it's the former, then changing programs won't do any good, because you'd just end up making the same mistakes in every other one you try.  If it's the latter, then you probably just need to make a few simple adjustments to your settings, and things will be fine.  Either way, the answer starts and ends with you, and your own behavior, not with the software itself.

So, what exactly are the errors you've been getting?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.