Mesh Programs of choice?

Kristen Coledale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've decided to try my hand at mesh objects!  Initially Blender seemed to be a popular program choice, and since I don't want to pay a ton of money for something right off the bat, what do you think?  Is Blender still a great option, or has another program risen within the ranks?  Thanks in advance!  <3

I use Blender. I may be biased and I have not used 3DS in forever and I have only seen screen shots of Maya. I got TrueSpace while it was free, I think you still can. But, I have only ever played with it and not much. So, salt hat a say accordingly.

I blog about what I learn in Blender, link in signature. Use the menu to find collection s of articles and tutorials.

Blender changed with the 2.5 releases. The user interface became a bit more intuitive. Using intuitive with 3D modeling is a stretch. But, it is way easier to learn than the previous 2.4x versions. Still it is an unusual program and requires some devotion and time to learn. 

There is more support from Linden Lab and the user community for Blender than most other modeling programs. Gaia Clary and Domino Marama work with the Blender development team to add Second Life specific modifications and features. Linden Lab is a registered stakeholder in Blender. I think all this means that Blender will support SL changes before other modeling programs do.

It is the program that the Lab expects users to use. The lab is pen to other programs and will support them as best they can with time available. But, it is likely Blender that they will remain focused on because of its popularity with SL users.

Like SL Blender changes often. This can be a curse and a blessing.

There are other programs that may be easier to learn and get started with. But, I think Blender is the most powerful with the most options for modeling and animating for Second Life.

I prefer to model in Blender. I own Modo, Zbrush, Mudbox and Lightwave, but I always go back to Blender.  And it's  extremely efficient to use a program that many people use here for SL   You can share tips and ideas and get help or  help other users here on the forum.   Since Blender is free, the "playing field" is level for SL creation so anyone dedicated enough to learn how to 3d model (no easy task initially) can download and learn how to use it and decide if they want to continue before wasting spending money on another program.  

For mesh I use Wings3D. I believe it does have the same functionality as Jass/Blender (I can't be sure though since, after several attempts, I gave up on learning that one) It's also a freeware program and I found it quite easy to learn.

It really beats me why most people use Blender, maybe it's just because ... most people use Blender ?

anyway ...
Another free program comes from Daz Studio, it's called Hexagon but I've used it  too little to have much of an opinion about it.

Jasmin Helstein wrote:

For mesh I use Wings3D. I believe it does have the same functionality as Jass/Blender (I can't be sure though since, after several attempts, I gave up on learning that one)

For relatively simple 3D modeling tasks, Wings will certainly do the job.  So if you enjoy using it for that purpose, by all means, keep using it.  However, if you want to do anything even mildly complex, you'll find that Wings just isn't capable.  (It doesn't even have any built-in rigging tools, for example.)

I'm not sure what led you to assume that Wings has the same functionalities as Blender.   It doesn't.  It's not in the same league, by any stretch.  It's barely even in the same sport.  Wings is a simple, no-frills, polygonal modeler, a "one-trick pony", nothing more.  Blender, on the other hand, is a full featured modeling and animation platform.  The differences really couldn't be greater.

You may as well be trying to compare a rowboat to an aircraft carrier.  Just because they both happen to float doesn't mean they're the same thing.  One merely provides a very simplistic means of geting from point A to B, while the other is one of the most sophisticated and multifunctional apparatuses this planet has ever seen.

Simply put, there's absolutely nothing Wings can do that Blender can't, but there are thousands of things Blender can do that Wing's can't.  Further, there's nothing one can do in Wings can do one cannot do much faster, more efficiently, more controllably, and with far greater flexibility, in Blender, provided one has equal understanding of both programs, of course.

Jasmin Helstein wrote:

It really beats me why most people use Blender, maybe it's just because ... most people use Blender ?

In terms of the 3D industry as a whole, it's far from accurate to say most people use Blender.  The amount of Blender users is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of Maya and Max users. 

Among those who don't opt to spend thousands of dollars, though, yes, Blender is by far the most popular choice.  It's still got a ways to go before it becomes something that any sizable percentage of professionals would turn to as a first choice, but over the last year or two, it has managed to raise itself to the point where most professionals do look on it with respect.

In any case, nobody uses Blender just because they think it's what all the cool kids are doing.  (Everyone knows, the cool kids use Maya! :D )  Blender fought long and hard to reach the status of acceptance and widespread use that it enjoys today.  It wasn't always so.

The reason why Blender is popular is no great mystery.  It happens to be THE ONLY free, truly full-featured, 3D modeling and animation suite in existence.  Of all the freebie programs out there, Blender is the only one that even comes close to rivaling the power of industry standards like Maya and Max.  It even beats out just about every commercial option, up to about the thousand dollar range.

Jasmin Helstein wrote:

Another free program comes from Daz Studio, it's called Hexagon but I've used it  too little to have much of an opinion about it.

Small point of accuracy, it doesn't make sense to say Hexagon "comes from DAZ Studio".   DAZ Studio a program, just as DAZ Hexagon is a program.  They both come from a company called DAZ Productions. :)

Also, Hexagon is not actually a free program, at least not all the time.  It does happen to be free right now, due to a limited time promotion, but it's ordinarily $150.  DAZ hasn't specified how long the promotion will last.  It's been going on for a few months now, and could end at any time.  If anyone's interested, I'd suggest you grab it now (along with Studio Pro, and Bryce, which are normally $430 and $250, respectively).

• Like 1

I use Maya, but since you said you don't want to spend money, that's not going to be an option for you.  Maya costs $3500.

Blender is your best option.  It's often referred to as the "poor man's Maya".  It's a fantastic program that provides a ton of power, entirely for free.

The learning curve is going to be steep, so it's not for the timid.  This is really a "Do or do not; there is no try," type of situation.  If you aim is merely to "try your hand", you'll likely get frustrated pretty quickly.  To succeed takes a bit of discipline, and a lot of practice. 

The reality is most people don't have the patience to learn the right way, and then they end up blaming the software when they can't get it to work.  I encourage you not to be one of those people.  I say this all the time, don't put the cart before the horse.

Embrace the learning process.  Results will come, in time, but you have to master the basics first..  Do NOT expect overnight success.  Start at the beginning, take it one step at a time, enjoy the journey itself, and you'll do fine. :) 

The main advantage of Blender is the upgrades are free :matte-motes-smile:

Seriously though, anyone asking this question is not a professional and most of what Maya has to offer is wasted on them for the first year or so.  I recommend beginners get acclimated to the 3D world with Blender and then save/spend their money on the newest upgrade of Maya or another professional option when they  really know what they are doing and you are ready to use it fully.  The beginner should  pay themselves  5 dollars for every free tutorial they watch on Youtube...If they get hooked they will "earn" enough to buy a professional modelling tool by the time they know enough to use it.  If they decide 3d modeling isn't the path for them, then they can buy a Ferrari.

I started out buying Poser 6 on Ebay for 50 bucks.  Then I bought Lightwave 7 on Ebay for very little money.  However I was such a beginner that I got frustrated quickly and someone suggested Modo.  Modo makes modeling easier for EXPERTS, not beginners, although it's a wonderful program.  I've been seduced into upgrading these programs  to keep pace, in most cases the upgrades were wasted because I had not yet achieved a skill level to take advantage of the most basic features of these programs..  Had I just  stuck with Blender and saved that cash I could have spent it on Maya at this point (or 3D Max or C4D, etc.)

Zbrush and Mudbox are different types of 3d programs that can do "some" of what 3d modelers do, but they are primarily sculpting and texturing tools and not animation packages.  They are mostly useful going hand in hand with a good modeling program like Maya or Blender.   And they are alot of fun.  A good free modeling SCULPTING *program from the Pixologic Website is called Sculptris.

*Edit to correct

• Like 1

Excellent post, Nacy.  You've given me something to consider, in recommending that people begin with Blender before investing in something like Maya.  I've never actually recommended that, since Blender used to be so unique, so different from all the others. A lot of habits developed in Blender wouldn't necessarily transfer well to anything else.  But now that Blender adheres to industry norms so much more than it used to, you're probably right that it makes for a good starting point.

Hi Carrie.  If I remember right, here's how to get your serial number:

1.  Go into the shop in the DAZ website, and purchase the program for $0.00. 

2.  Download and install the program.

3.  On the DAZ website, go to your account page and then click where it says My Serial Numbers on the left.  The serials for every DAZ product you own should be listed there.

Daz will give you a serial number to activate Hexagon if you go to your account and to available Serial if it is not there then contact DAZ support they will send you and list your serial in your account. I bought Hexagon when it wasn't free but when they issued the free new version you needed to request for a serial number. Personally I like Hexagon as a modeler the interface has been easier to learn than Blender but now that there are more good quality tutorials for blender that specifically relate to mesh learning Blender is becoming easier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.