Mesh Hair Help?

stoplight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Egh... I hate having to come on here to ask about this, but im having no luck finding how to sort this thing out. Hopefully someone can give me some guidance.

Alright, first things first, I made some hair in Blender. It's a mesh, and I've got what I made imported into SL. I basicly made long chunky bits, and laid them out into hair-like shapes.

At first, I tried just doing a solid texture. Like so:

http://puu.sh/agbm3/83b12ad354.jpg

Looks gross and chunky, yeah.

So then I tried like... making wispies with the UV layout.

http://puu.sh/agaBq/f165e07f60.jpg
Better looking at the tips, but now there's some overlapping weirdness. How do I get rid of that? Do I need to redo the mesh, or the textures? Or am I just doing some settings wrong?

try saving solid textures as 24-bit .tga and if you make whispy pieces then you can do those as .png

the black tips might be where the transparency in the hair is (when u switched the alpha mode, it makes transparent parts of it turn black). so also check your texture and be sure the whole image is filled (no alpha transparency on it)

Hello stoplight,

Make sure that you are using a hair texture that has alpha already instead of using the alpha on you entire texture / material in Blender.

i.e. Erase the bottom of the hair texture to reveal alpha then smudge tool upwards in Photoshop or Gimp to create a thinning out effect. This way your eyes will not show thru the whole thing.

Hope this helps :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.