Mesh Custom Physics Land Impact Wrong in Uploader

Syle Devin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to upload a mesh with a custom physics weight. In the uploader the physics weight shows .600. When I rez the mesh inworld and set the physics shape to prim the land impact jumps to 77. I have no idea what is happening or why the uploader is showing such different numbers. Any ideas?  

That's because of the Importer shows only the Physics Weight of the Convex Hull shape type. Depending on the complexity of the physics mesh, it can be much more expensive under Physics Shape Type: Prim.

Sadly, the only way to check this out is after the mesh has been uploaded, and set to type prim in-world.

I think Drongle has filed a Feature Request on the Jira, to show the weight of both types in the importer already, but that was some years ago actually. So I wouldn't place a bet on that to be implemented.

The uploader only shows the physics weight of the default convex hull, That shape is always made, whether you make another shape or not. It is used when the physics shape type is set to convex hull, which it is when you first rez the mesh. Showing the Prim type weight in the uploader has been requested in the jira since years ago. I don't know why they don't implement it. The data has to be temporarily uploaded anyway to get the other weights. Unfortunately this means you can't see the prim-type weight until you upload and rez, and it can often be a shock. This is one of the good reasons for always testing your mesh on the beta grid before spending L$ uploading on the main grid. 

As far as the actual physics weight is concerned, there are a lot of threads discussing this subject. We would need to know some details about how you made the shape, what were the physics upload parameters (especially whether analyzed or not), how big the mesh is and what you need the physics shape to do, before being able to offer specific advice on optimising it.

ETA: Ha ha - snap! Arton.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.