Mesh Clothing POV ideal vertex count

Braydon Randt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ok  this isnt really a critique,  but i am making a medieval style outfit from mesh,  I was curious as to what kind of vertices count is ideal.  I have done a Tunic,  Belt,  Pouch, hood and am currently doing the arms and am touching about 2500 which isnt bad as upload costs are around the L$18 and 15 PE.

I have baked textures using a multirezzed version to the lower UV hense the folds etc ,  anyway heres a pic to see.

Outfit Picture.jpg

I was curious as to what is the ideal...  it seams to move ok in world and isnt too expensive and considering its essentially the load of three sculpties im thinking its ok.

• Like 1

There really is no answer to your question. If none of your vertices or faces are wasted, you did well, the amount is irrelevant. To me personally it looks good for that number, but that's just me:)

A sculpt has 2048 triangles btw, so you're little over 1 if the 2500 is what you see in the upload window...

Your mesh is looking lovely Braydon, and at 15PE I think it is quite reasonable. Your usage of baked textures to simulate folds and create details which aren't actual geometry is definitely a big plus in keeping the rendering cost down as well. I would assume from your mesh experience that you are keeping your triangle usage efficient - and since organic shapes are always more costly in triangle count, a reasonable increase in PE is fair trade-off for overall appearance.

And as Kwakkelde said... your triangle count as it stands now is only around the triangle count of a single sculptie... so by far, your mesh is vastly more efficient than pretty much any sculpted equivalent (which would use quite a few sculpties to resemble your piece here).

Have you created any LOD meshes to go with this? That might be a way of reducing your overall PE count - although a fair bit of work to do so.

So yah, I think you can be quite proud of your work Braydon! Lovely stuff! :matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4520 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.