Lexie Linden
Topics: 65
0 Kudos

Mesh Avatars

Best practices and tips discussion about creating a mesh avatar. 

Honored Resident
Phoenix Steampunk
0 Kudos

Re: Mesh Avatars

[ Edited ]

Reply to Lexie Linden - view message

There have been so many threads about best practices in the old forum and I am really wondering why they didn't even made it to the new version. Shouldn't be that hard to move them from the archive to this part of the forum, tho.

Topics: 19
0 Kudos

Reply to Phoenix Steampunk - view message

It's not just this topic, they did not carry along any posts from any category.  Doing selective threads from the entire old forums would have been too much work.  Best we can do is link back to the archive, like I did with the 3dsMax Best Practices.

Builder and newbie helper in SL and other virtual worlds. Download free Mesh Avatar templates from http://www.mediafire.com/?ta3szqyh1qgntnz
0 Kudos

I have put an "Experimental Mesh Avatar" on the Marketplace for animators, skin creators, and anyone interested in trying a full body mesh.  Because mesh is still in beta, I cannot include the actual Mesh object in the marketplace delivery, just the UV maps.  I will deliver the full item on Aditi manually.  As far as I know this is the first full human avatar available, so feel free to direct questions to DanielRavenNest Ni (my merchant alt).  I will emphasize the "experimental" again.  I am more than willing to take feedback and make updates once I know what people want and need, but I wanted to get some version out there as a starting point.

Builder and newbie helper in SL and other virtual worlds. Download free Mesh Avatar templates from http://www.mediafire.com/?ta3szqyh1qgntnz
Resident
Krika Deed
0 Kudos

Reply to DanielRavenNest Noe - view message

Thanks Daniel, I got my avatar mesh, although it has much to be done, I was very happy to see how we will be in the future. I hope it's as soon as possible.

Honored Resident
linkin Slate
0 Kudos

Wondering  how every one else is coming along with there mesh av, i myself have been playing  around with full body mesh av's, and it seems to me a full body mesh , how ever you lay out uv's a 1024 x 1024 texture doesnt  give enuff detail to cover a full body mesh, i know many are  useing the sl defult av to do your pratices on, others have used other full body  base meshs either self made of found bases to start with, .

id like to hear from others as there option on this as best pratices, on how best to set up your av mesh, full body or in  parts.

0 Kudos

Reply to linkin Slate - view message

linkin Slate wrote:

Wondering  how every one else is coming along with there mesh av, i myself have been playing  around with full body mesh av's, and it seems to me a full body mesh , how ever you lay out uv's a 1024 x 1024 texture doesnt  give enuff detail to cover a full body mesh,

I used one body geometry, and all 8 texture IDs, which become "sides" when imported, and UV maps ranging from 512x512 to 1024x1024 (for the face).  Part of the reason for so many maps was I wanted to have different map areas for left and right limbs.  More map sections also lets it be less distorted overall.  Getting the joints to animate smoothly has been the hardest part so far.

Honored Resident
linkin Slate
0 Kudos

Reply to DanielRavenNest Noe - view message

Thats interesting , i didnt kow one could use seport textures, for seportated poly groups, im guessing your useing blender, myslef useing zbrush,  and  i can create poly groups or uv,islands, thus letting you apply different textures to each  ploy group, but each texture has the same uv layout, what your saying is each  poly group  you have for your full body  mesh has its own uv layout  and is a seprot texture ?

0 Kudos

Reply to linkin Slate - view message

Yes, you can use up to 8 textures/UV maps.  They correspond to the "sides" in a traditional prim as far as how many you can have.  As far as UV mapping, you can put any polygon on any map, that's up to the 3D program you are using.  Actually I am using 3ds Max, and polygons are assigned a "Material ID number" from 1 to 8, as well as UV coordinates.  I'm not sure what Blender calls it, but it's got a similar function.

Honored Resident
Bloodsong Termagant
0 Kudos

is there a file (ie a blender file) that has the skeleton to put the meshes on?