Mesh Avatars

Lexie Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wear it. You can attach it to any attachment point you like. It will always snap to the correct position and rotation on your avatar-skeleton.

caveats:

The mesh importer is realy missleading when it comes to importing the weight data.

• You must go to the modifiers tab and there you must check "Skin Weight".
  • And if you use a modified skeleton, then you also need to check "joint positions"

When you use a full avatar replacement then you must make your default avatar invisible. Simply create a new Alpha mask and wear it at any attachment point. this will make your default avatar invisible. Then your rigged mesh will work as you expect (if the weights are done right).

At least that was so when i tried it the last time a few weeks ago.

Are you using the complete bone list? Partial bone lists aren't supported at all when "joint positions" is checked. And, I have used the complete list of bones when uploading with just "skin weights" checked as well to avoid issues.

Edit: I just tested the latest viewer (237321), and it allows you to use a partial list with the "skin weights" option.

Complete List of Crucial Bones (21)

mNeck
mHead
mChest
mTorso
mPelvis
mCollarRight
mCollarLeft
mShoulderLeft
mShoulderRight
mElbowRight
mElbowLeft
mWristLeft
mWristRight
mHipRight
mHipLeft
mKneeRight
mKneeLeft
mAnkleRight
mAnkleLeft
mFootRight
mFootLeft

Oh thanks so much for your help and list :-)

Yes this is the list usually used for SL, i know that (I am creating poses too).

Well i think i have to check it inside the software i used for my model (makehuman).

I thought it could also be an issue with too much data (like polygones and so on) too.

It is very easy to make a MakeHuman avatar working with SL. Yoo "only" need to rigg the Mesh with an SL compatible set of bones and weight this set accordingly. The general approach is shown in Rigg your Avatar . Although there i used the SL mesh itself, the principle also works perfectly for the MH character.

A new tutorial about that is currently developped ;-)

Note: The MH character is very polygon heavy. You should reduce its polygon count dramatically. I was able to create an SL compatible avatar with about 7500 triangles which is about the same number like the default sl-avatar but looks much better. You can even get good results with less polygons.

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

Edit:
I just tested the latest viewer (237321), and it allows you to use a partial list with the "skin weights" option.

So it is again like it was at the end of last year. I just checked that importing the weighted character from avatar.blend works again. That's great news ;-) Thank you for that hint, Ashasekayi !

Welcome.

Gaia Clary wrote:

Ashasekayi Ra wrote:

Edit:
I just tested the latest viewer (237321), and it allows you to use a partial list with the "skin weights" option.

So it is again like it was at the end of last year. I just checked that importing the weighted character from avatar.blend works again. That's great news ;-) Thank you for that hint, Ashasekayi !

I'm happy about that change too. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.