Maya and Max 2012 errors in importing meshes

Nirmanakaya Yalin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

WARNING: load_face_from_dom_triangles: Unable to process mesh with empty position array; invalid model.

WIndows 7, 3ds Max 2012, Maya 2012, Autodesk  FBX converter 2013.
Unrigged mesh.

Exporting from 3ds max in dae, or import object in Maya then fbx converted to dae, or export fbx from max and converted to dae.

Seems to have this trouble only on : mirrored objects, objects coming from splines and converted to editable polys.

Already resetted transformations and scale in hierarchy panel. Resetted all pivots points. I'm pretty sure is an exporter problem, but can't find the right settings.
Any idea?

From the top of my head I'm not sure about the spline based meshes, but my experience with 3ds max (so certainly not the exporter) with mirrored objects is that often you need to flip the normals when you reset xforms. To see the normals properly, so not the two sided faces in 3ds max, enable backface culling in either object or layer properties.

btw, why don't you give the symmetry modifier in 3ds max a go? I like that a whole lot better for symmetrical builds than the mirror command.

Also, after resetting xforms, did you convert the models to an editable poly? This should work for both the mirrored and spline based objects.

• Like 1

Oh I see I misread some things earlier.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at your object if you can post it somewhere or email it to me as max file. Usually it's something so obvious it's easily overlooked. If it is the export process, I shouldn't have any issues uploading the object to SL, since I use a newer version of 3ds Max.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.