Marvelous Designer Zremesher turning tris to quads agony

VulpesVulpes666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have tried everything to convert from MD tris mesh to quads using zremesher and it seams useless for that purpose,i always get edge loop spirals which prevents me to normaly mark uv seams for uv mapping,i am wondering whether to use MD anymore for the purpose of creating mesh for SL,the creator of MD should have put an option to chose quadrangulated mesh or decimated,such a waste,in my final attempt to solve this problem i ask any of you did any of you somehow managed to quadrangulate MD mesh succesfully and make it usable for uv mapping,in any application not necessarily Zbrush,i have tried topology guides,crease guides,marking borders and then unwelding additional mesh and hiding it and deleting it,the main problem is when i put crease guides it closes all holes and when i zremesh the object i get fine edge loops but closed object and when i unweld additional mesh and Zremesh the object i get spirals,i have tried with polygroups marking and freezing polygroups in zremesher option which gave me useless mesh without usable edge loops,all in all i always get damned hypnotic edge spirals or distorted useless mesh,it looks like old tedious manual retopo is the best way to do the job but time consuming.Any ideas guys?Thank you.

Thanks for reply,i know these videos they are from DITKO University and they are great BUT they don't solve my problem 1.They are meant for very low poly count mesh 2.In first video the solution is close to good you get nice UV islands for further processing but you also get distorted mesh with crazy edge flows and triangles because Zremesher is trying to conform to the polygroups or UV seams 3.In second video solution is less usable because you loose polygroups so you usually get spirals in high poly count models

Your welcome VV666   .

nice to hear MD is going to go beta and hopefully your topology strife will be no more,

i noticed from your posts you had hard travel with your gown and whereas i not had the finances to use MD i have noticed tutors over time halting their MD model and then switching to modelling programme of their choice, Maya, blender,etc, and then proceeding further down the line to make their game friendly,high detailed model.

hope you accept   this somewhat  ignorant suggestion in good faith to perhaps do your high model in MD and convert with another programme. I say this as i been taking a very long modelling journey trying to be blender purist, whereas in reality and ease i would have lot quicker results using the multitude of programmes developers have released,the trick being ((i think)) knowing when to stop using one programme and go to another.

i am understanding the need of retopolgy and baking and myself drooling over  Contour retopology  however i just a hobbyist modeller and i sure many of these beautiful textured and skillfully modelled releases on MP are not from creators who just have a knack for modelling,

omg i waffle ,, good luck with your journey and omg just peeked before posting and hopefully Cathy has your solution,

Hey. I am not very familiar with MD, but I know it makes very dense tri-mesh.

You can definetely avoid spiral loops in ZRemesher, I am sure about it:

Use several ZRemesherGuide curves, or use CreaseCurves and after that in ZRemesherQuide -> Frame Mesh -> Creased Edges. That is easier than pure GuideLines.

CreaseCurves will allways close the holes, but do not worry about it, because you can Ctrl-Shift-click the polygroups on closed areas and after that hit "DelHidden" in Modify Topology - palette. That is the way how you delete the closed areas polygons. After that you will see your original mesh shape without closings.

ETA: You have to do this polygroup deletion before you hit the ZRemesh button. And do not put the ZRemesher "curve strenght" up to 100, because that will cause ZRemesh to make weird triangles.

I am sure that spiral edgeflows will disappear. :)

I could make you a short step-by-step video about the workflows, if you need.

Hi Jake i've tried as you told me,but i don't get spirals only in the case when mesh is closed if mesh is not closed i get spirals,i even tried unwelding polygroups in Geometry->Modify Topology->Unweld groups border and it gave me the same result,i guess the Zremesher algorithm works best only with closed objects,if you want i can send you the OBJ file to try to do it yourself,for me it is not working,greetings:matte-motes-big-grin:

Thanks Cathy i used Maya before for complex modeling but for SL i moved to Blender especially because of the rigging process i use Avastar...Maya is one of the best 3d modeling suits out there but it has its dark sides,sure i can quadrangulate MD mesh in Maya and export OBJ file to Blender anyways,but whole process of making quads in Maya is difficult and it is much complicated with more complex mesh than with the one that was shown in the video tutorials,i will certainly try it and see if i can manage to do it in Maya thanks again

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.