Making mesh jewelry small

Anya McConach

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm confused on how to make mesh jewelry small enough to look like jewelry.

I've found a thread saying you need to add extra geometry, which I have, and it will let you resize it smaller inworld. Well once I upload it inworld I'm still not able to get it small enough.

Is there a step I'm missing or am I just sizing things wrong in blender?

Thanks!!

Hi,

Mesh, unlike sculpts can't be made smaller than .01.once uploaded to SL. So if you are making small pieces you will have to add a larger object attached to it, such as a plane or cube. which will have a different material which you can make transparent once uploaded. Making small individual pieces however is not that efficient and doesn't save prims compared to sculpts. It works better if you can make combined mesh items made of a few objects together (perhaps those with the same material?) or even a whole necklace or section of your design, then use one plane to increase the scaling of the object to very small.

Hope that is a little help.

Chrissy

• Like 1

Hi

As you are already aware the smallest you can make an object in any one direction is 0.01meter.

The reason for adding the extra geometry is to increase the size of the bounding box so that the complete mesh object is larger than the 0.01meter.

So if your jewelry mesh object will have a final size of say 0.005 x 0.005 x 0.005 ( 1/2 the size of the SL minimum) you need to add the extra geometry so that it measures at least 0.2 x 0.2 x 0.2 (twice the size of the SL minimum). Then in world you can scale the complete mesh object down by 50% and the bounding box will be still be at least 0.01meters.

1: The added geometry has to part of the SAME mesh object .

2: The mesh with its extra geometry has to be larger than 0.1meters in the X Y and Z directions before uploading

• Like 1

I like my jewelery to be at least 10 cm in any dimension, so that I can scale it really tiny if I want.  So, in blender, I add some *tiny* little triangles the the mesh. I use tris with a size of about .0000015, and I make sure to put them around the piece symmetrically, so they do not mess up the object center.  

I used to use larger tris as a separate material, then make them 100% transparent, but if I use small enough tris, they do not even render in SL, so I don't have to bother making them a separate material.

• Like 1

All it takes actually is a single degenerated triangle across the center of your mesh, which I create from a cube that is centered on the tiny mesh. Where 2 verts share the same space, leaving just a line which wont render inworld. So I don't have to deal with materials at all.

Nano_002.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.