Making a Square Hole

Pinky Vought

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I cannot seem to find anything online about making a square hole, like for a window or door. I saw one video where a guy deleted a center vertice and it made a square hole, but I'll be darned if I can figure out how he did it. When I do it, it makes an ugly rounded hole.

I also tried to learn the knife tool, but the blender wiki is way off on that one. I saw someone in another video make straight lines with end points, like the line tool in a photo editing program, but again, can't figure out that one either.

Little help with making a window? Lol, ripping hair out here. It just never ends with blender, does it?

There are so many ways to do this that it's impossible to describe them all. Here are two...

Maybe the simplest way is in the first picture. This should be self-explanatory. If you want the window no square, then stretch it in Edit mode, not object mode, before doing the "Solidify". If you do stretch it in Object mode, it's advisable to do Apply>Rotation & Scale before going into Edit mode.

swindo1.png

Making multiple holes is much more difficult. Agian there are many methods, and when it's done, there are steps that can be used to reduce the triangle count. However, in case you really want to puch holes, here is a way of doing that. It's all in Object mode. It's mostly a list of steps, with a picture for the last two steps. Don't click on the £D view during this, as that will move the cursor. Don't for get the Apply>Rotayion and scale when it's finished....

[]=menu selection, ()=mouse action, {}=object name, <cr>="Enter" key, the rest is typed at the keyboard.

[Add>Mesh>Cube] {name: Cube}; SY.1<cr>; SZ2<cr>; [Add>Mesh>Cube] {name: Cube.001}; SX.8<cr>; SZ.85<cr>; GZ-.95<cr>; Shft+D<cr>; GZ1.9<cr>; (Select both new cubes); [Object>Join]; (Select original cube);

Now add the Boolean modifier, as shown in the picture, choosing "Boolean" when the list of modifiers comes up. Go through the steps in order as the controls are numbered. At step 4, enter the name of the joined punching cubes {Cube.001 here}. Finally, do GX-3<cr> to move the frame away from the cutting cubes.

swindo2.png

If you work through these, you will be on the way to understanding a bit more of Blender. Experimenting with the menus and modifiers is a good way to learn.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.