You are currently in the Forum Archive. All content within this area is Read-Only and cannot be modified. Active Forums can be found here.
Laurent Bechir

Makehuman and meshes

Hello,

I'm exploring the export of avatars with Makehuman, with no great success for the moment. I use Makehuman 1.0 alpha5 since it is the only one able to export in collada and mhx format. I export in mhx format, since collada directly doesn't give good results. I import in Blender (I've tried 2.5 and 2.49b) where I have not only a character but the skeletton (the same than simplebot). Than I export to collada 1.4. I don't know which I should choose from triangles or polygons. And in SecondLife, the skin weight check box is disabled, and I can't figure out why. So, I need help

Thank you

Re: Makehuman and meshes

Reply to Laurent Bechir - view message

Sounds like you have not parented the mesh to the SL skeleton. Below is a link to a video which will show you how to do this in Blender 2.49. I don't think Blender 2.5x series works for this. She also has the avatar.blend file on her website that you will need to do this.

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/2010/09/15/meshes-i-a-preliminary-tutorial-about-meshes/

I hope that helps. Oh, and choose triangles to export in collada.

Black Rose for all Your Play and Role Play Needs
Laurent Bechir

The armature is not the same on the export of Makehuman than on the example of avatar.blend. You have facial expressions in the Blender export. So I wonder if it will work just like that or if I need to change the armature ?

Capture d’écran 2010-11-14 à 09.05.27.png

Gaia Clary

To make a Make Human mesh compatible with SL:

This works with blender 2.49b (for 2.55 i am still experimenting a bit, might need to wait for 2.56 ?):

1. open avatar.blend
  2. upload the .obj model of your MH-avatar into another layer (note, do not use the MH-armature!)
  3. use "m" (in object mode) to make the original rig visible together with the MH-avatar on its separate layer)
  4. rotate/scale/translate the MH-avatar into place. take care to fit the MH-avatar to the SL-rig. You might need to slightly scale the arm length and move the head into place.
  5. Take care that the eye holes match with the eyes of the SL-avatar.
  6. in object mode:
    1. select the MH-mesh
    2. SHIFT select the SL-head
    3. Object -> scripts -> Bone Weight Copy  (important: quality 2 or higher!), press OK
    4. proceed with Upper Body and Lower Body (separately) as follows:
      1. select the MH-mesh
      2. SHIFT select the Upper body (lower body)
      3. Object -> scripts -> Bone Weight Copy, but now enable "UPDATE SELECTED"  (important: quality 2 or higher!), press OK
  7. select the MH mesh
  8. SHIFT select the rig
  9. Object -> Parent -> Make parent -> armature -> Don't create Groups
  10. locate the Armature modifier (F9, edit button selection), enable "MAKE REAL"
  11. select the MH mesh, export to collada 1.4
  12. during upload to SL enable "with bone weights" (checkmark below "with textures")
  13. wear

note: You can also try to fit the rig to the MH avatar, but i am not sure if the bone weight copy still works then. (needs to be checked) Take care to also export the rig if you have changed bone offsets.

Yes, it is a lot of steps, but you can do it in less than 5 minutes, once you got used to it. I think of creating a "avatar-weight-copy" script to make things easier ;-)

BTW i am right now working on the avatar-workbench.blend project. You will be able to mix SL-avatar and MH-avatar based meshes, combine them as you like. And best of all, you will be able to reuse(!) the standard SL-skin textures on the MH-avatar ;-) Here is a preliminary  snapshot of the head (click to enlarge):

mh-sl-comparison.png

left is the MH mesh, right is the SL-head. Both use a free skin texture from Vint Falken.

I expect to get the avatar-workbench ready for peek-preview within the next 14 days.

the mesh weaver
    Laurent Bechir

Thank you for this explanation. You think that going with .obj export from Makehuman is better than the mhx export explained here ?

http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/blender-export-and-mhx

Mhx import works with Blender 2.49b even if this tuto seems to say no.

Gaia Clary

The way i describe is just "one way that works". I proposed to use/reuse the armature from avatar.blend because it has the correct bone number and bone names and it has been already made fully compatible for SL and it just works (and i have not figured out another way except remaking the weights all from scratch)...

And i do not know how to transform the MH armature itself into a SL compatible armature. Probably you will need to rename some bones and remove others. Then you still possibly need to reweight the remaining bones. At the end i don't know if making it your way will be the better, cleaner,faster approach... But it could well be ;-)

And i wonder if one day we can just import our own rig together with the avatar-mesh and make whatever we like. Bone offsets seem to point into that direction already as you must export the armature to get the offsets into SL. So the next step shouldn't be soo complicated ?

the mesh weaver
    Marielle Caerndow

Another legal question:

Since I'm not of native English language, I'm not sure if i did understand the MakeHuman license correctly. Is it true that if we create MH-meshes, modify and upload them to SL, we also have to provide the original/raw mesh data (collada or files that include the mesh as open source) ?

Gaia Clary

as far as i have understood, your modifications are your own, the MH base mesh itself is open source and it is the same for all characters, just morphed into the shape you want. I think when we finally go to "selling of characters" then it probably is just enough to say "based on Make Human" ? ...

From : http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/licensing :

The MakeHuman Team retains Copyright over the topology and the base mesh, but grants you permission to copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the generated materials over which they hold Copyright, including the topology and positional information constituting the base mesh provided that this does not prevent others from doing the same.

That basically says to me: "do not complain if somebody else mimics your character model" because everybody is allowed to use the base mesh and as such the probability exists that very similar characters are made by different persons without even knowing that a similar character already exists... (My interpretation, and no i am not a lawyer so ask one if you want to be 100% sure about that -)

the mesh weaver
    Marielle Caerndow

Yes, I'm careful with licensing...as soon as money is involved, things can quickly get *darn* .

I just read this:http://sites.google.com/site/makehumandocs/faq#TOC-Legal-questions

The specific data files used to define and deform the mesh, distributed with the MakeHuman application are covered by the terms of the GNU General Public License 3.0 and you are granted permission to use and redistribute those files in original or modified form under those terms.

These data files can also be manipulated using the Blender MakeTarget script, but they, and derivative works remain under the terms of the GNU GPL.

So, all models that are based on MH stay under GNU GPL 3. Uploaded and sold in SL it would become closed-source, because regardless of SL's modify-perms, the access to the mesh data would be 'closed'.

However, i think there are enough 'true' open source models around that allow later 'closed-source' selling